We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

DMB
Southern CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

Need to rent a car. Some guys have newer, safer, better condition cars. WHO?

I've tried the 10 year old rust bucket with over 300,000 miles and feel unsafe Who has better quality? a compact, small car for 2 is fine!

THANKS.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
120 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

We were very please with Naaman Rolle's 2002 Impalla fro 10 days. Everything worked and the ac was wonderful!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

It's not exactly accurate to say that any single vendor has a fleet of rental vehicles that are superior to others ... most vendors have a mix of vehicles, some in better condition than others. Your best bet is to gauge opinions on the person you're dealing with -- some of the vendors have developed pretty good reputations among visitors to this board.

When the vehicle is presented to you, take a good look at all four tires and make sure it has a decent spare and a jack. About 90 percent of vehicle difficulties on the island -- rentals and private cars alike -- are tire issues.

Ask if you can take a brief turn around the parking lot -- test the brakes, make sure they have good pressure and don't "pull". Make sure the steering doesn't pull, and test the lights, wipers and power windows. Listen when you start it up, make sure the battery or starter don't sound like they're on their last legs.

You're not gonna get that "new-car" Avis or Hertz experience, no matter what ... but it's OK to insist that the car is in basic, safe operating condition.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

I used Hilton Johnson for a Jeep sidekick which worked out great for me, Hilton is a great guy well known had basic paper work for me to read and sign.As Daveaddis pointed out Do check the tires and make sure you know where the jack and wheel brace are , I had a flat my first evening on good tires changed it the following morning brought it down to the garage put air in it and it was fine, then had to re change again, as the spare was;nt. great . If i wasn't happy with the rental i received i would have asked for a replacement and i'am pretty sure that wouldn't be a problem.

Washington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

If you are flying into North Eleuthera you should call Wallace. He has good rates, is very dependable and has decent vehicles. vipwall_46@hotmail.com....ph# 242-359-7294. Please tell him Hope referred you :-) I know he has a Ford Explorer that is pretty nice. Good Luck :-)

miami
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

If you are flying into Rock Sound, grab an SUV from Friendly Bob. We always rent from him and never have problems, maybe a flat once in a while but the A/C always works!!

Burlington, Vermont
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

Our last trip to eleuthera we rented from byron rolle- it was a small suv- cant remember what kind but it was perfectly fine- a/c worked no problems at all- but the best part was that we were able to drop in his store- Lord Byrons on Queens Highway and pay with a credit card- that was a big bonus for us after paying cash for almost everything else- us americans arent used to that!!!

Hollywood, Florida...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

RE HIlton Johnson car rental, do you have his email address? What did he charge you daily? Did you get good service on fixing the flat from him? I used him years ago and am now heading to GHB in November.

Thanks,

Alex Sommers

asommers@newhaven.edu

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

Hilton Johnson email is hiltonjohnson@coralwave.com he charged $60 Per day and I rented a 4 Wheel Drive Tracker which was a 4 Cylinder so great on gas which is expensive on the island. Regarding the flat turned out the air just got knocked out of it , I took care of it myself, I,am pretty with cars, although I did call him and he was willing to come and take care of it. A nice guy and I will rent from him again on my next trip in May

Cheers

Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

Any contact info for Byron Rolle?

I'd love to pay with a CC as well.

Thanks.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,380 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Car Rental on Eleuthera - Safe & good condition?

I've read here that most car renters only accept cash. Here is a number and mail address for Naaman Rolle, most likely the same person:

Naaman Rolle at banro2@batelnet.bs

1-242-359-7166

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera