We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gps system

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
gps system

Will my GPS from home be of any use on the island? I know there are not many street signs if any, but maybe to help stay on the main hwy which I believe is Queens!!!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gps system

Unless you're *really* into techie-toys, I'd just leave the GPS at home, one less thing to worry about. Some people do use them to check coordinates for turnoffs to really obscure beaches. But a screen-capture from Google Earth works just as well for that, probably even better.

Most guest houses will have a map lying around, and you can get a basic road map free at the airport or the tourism office. It's really hard to get lost on the island. As you note, Queen's Highway is the "main vein" and the settlements are small enough that you don't really need a street map. Popular secondary roads like Banks Road, or the road to Lighthouse Beach, etc., will show up on the freebie road map.

You can always just ask directions if you're in doubt. Everybody you run into will be friendly and helpful.

Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: gps system

Ok thank you!! One less thing to pack.

Goose Creek, SC
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gps system

I printed out google map images and visited other sites that gave directions to beaches, restaurants, etc... Those helped out a lot. Here's a couple sites I used to help get us around;

www.eleuthera-map.com/beach-pictures.htm.

discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com/bahamas-beach…

The coolest part though, is that you can take almost any dirt road off the highway to a uninhabited beach. We did have a little trouble finding Ten Bay beach, because the sign had fallen down. After we visited though, I did what any good southerner would do, and leaned the sign up against the telephone pole, so other people could find it. Hopefully it helped!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gps system

It is IMPOSSIBLE to get lost here on the island... even if you mistakenly get off of the highway, where are you really going to go??? Unless your vehicle can drive in water!! Haha.. which would be totally rad!! If you feel like you are lost ask a local, everyone is super nice here.

5. Re: gps system

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 24, 2014