We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bugs?!

Port Kent, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bugs?!

My husband and I have never visited Eleuthera and have booked a place in GH for mid-February. As I continue to read more about this lovely island, the discussion of many bugs comes up often : no-see-ums, mosquitoes and sand fleas. Obviously weather conditions and time of year come into play but are they that bad? We're not wimpy but will bring netting for the hammocks if necessary. I read that one visitor brought along a full "bug suit"; if that will make the trip more pleasant I'll invest in one of those, too!

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bugs?!

Bug spray with at least 50% DEET will keep most of the bites away. Dawn and dusk are the worst times. Do a search on the forum and you'll find loads of information on the subject.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bugs?!

They're not that bad !! :).

They are out at dawn and dusk when the wind is calm. If you want to avoid them completely go inside at that time. If you want to be outside at those times and there is no breeze just bring some deet.

I felt obligated to respond because I have joked about my "bug suit" on my trip reports on my eleutheraparadise blog so I hope that is not what you are referring to :). I refuse to go inside at dawn and dusk because I enjoy the sunrise and sunset too much so I put on my "bug suit" which is tucking my pants into my socks and wearing a hoodie to keep the bugs off, it works great!!

If you get any bites a good soak in the ocean makes the itch go away, that is until you have to get on the airplane to go home.

Edited: 12:09 pm, July 11, 2013
Port Kent, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bugs?!

I haven't seen your bug suit but I'll definitely bring one, as well! Dawn and dusk are some of the best times to be outside so I guess, as always, just "be prepared". Thanks!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bugs?!

Even with all this wind we've had here the last couple of weeks I've still managed to get quite a few mosquito bites. It's ok though, the itch only lasts a few days. I think a lot of ppl get bit by mosquitos and mistake them for noseeum bites. I can feel those buggars biting and it hurts but can't feel the Mosquitos biting. Anyone else agree? Luckily my noseeum bites don't itch anymore.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bugs?!

JD, mosquito bites and sand fly bites are very different. Mosquitos have a long, narrow, pointed mouth that they insert into your skin to suck out the blood, so there is little damage and little pain. Sand flies have a mouth like blades, they cut the skin and then feed on the blood that seeps out, so there is more skin damage and more pain.

You go through different phases in your immunity to specific insect bites. I have been exposed to a lot of mosquitoes growing up, so I am at what they call phase 4 which is rapid swelling that lasts only a few hours. Phase 5 for mosquitoes is no reaction. I have not been exposed to sand flies as much so my reaction is different, and longer lasting, but thankfully I have spent enough time on the island that my reaction is not as severe as it once was.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
120 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bugs?!

No-see-ums are the worst. I'm not sure I even noticed the mosquitos. My advice is to avoid being outside at dusk. And don't go to restaurants and eat outside at sunset. That's when I got most of my bites...and they'll itch for days and days. I was still scratching them almost a week after getting home. Flies can also be an issue when eating outside. They will materialize out of no where when food comes out. The Beach House lights Sternos to draw them away from the food.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bugs?!

Clever little tip, for those who have irritating bug bites that itch and itch and itch!!! Rub some rubbing alcohol on them, and they will stop itching and will dry up SUPER quickly!! If your going to be staying near the beach they will be pretty bad, if your staying more inland they wont be too bad unless its about to rain or just has rained. As Im sitting here typing this with the window open my ankles are getting knawed!! Just either bring some bug spray, or buy some here at your local grocery store. After a couple days, you wont even notice them anymore! Enjoy your stay!!

Edited: 6:05 pm, July 13, 2013
burns
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bugs?!

We were there this past February and the no-see-ums for really bad. My husband and son were a mess with bites UNTIL we got out our bug spray with 80% deet. That did the trick but beware, it you usually get bug bites, you will need protection.

mississippi
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bugs?!

We were their in May after a huge rain and my husband was eaten alive the first day. I would say over 200 bites. Of course he did not have any deet or baby oil on when he went out and laid in the hammock. He definitely learned a lesson because he was miserable the remainder of the to weeks we were there. I wish I knew the cure because I love Eleuthera and he said never again. Appears, I will be returning without him next time.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
nc
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: bugs?!

I just heard that dryer fabric softener sheets will deter mosquitoes if you rub them on you. Wonder if it might work for no-seeums?

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera