We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not quite a trip report

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Not quite a trip report

Hi,

Got back a few weeks ago from Eleuthera, and loved it so much, wanted to make a few comments, and maybe suggestions.

First of all, I have never been anywhere where people were so friendly: locals, expats, winter residents, other visitors. Never! As one man commented to me, when you visit Eleuthera, you become your best self.

We were on the island for three weeks, and did quite a bit of exploring, thanks to an already scratched up rental car (thank goodness, because we were on some narrow overgrown roads).

We loved Twin Coves Beach, where we saw dolphins. We didn't get to swim with them, but we did inadvertently swim with a shark on another beach (other people saw him, and signaled to us to get out of the water). We loved Papaw Bay - so much I didn't want to recommend it - but then I decided not to be selfish. Magical experience.

The library in Governors Harbor is so special - beautiful to look at - the pink building with its green-blue shutters surrounded by water; and has lovely people working in it.

Da Perk in GH, also. Kendra always a smiling presence, great espresso and coffee and a beautiful view of the harbor.

The Levy Preserve gave us a wonderful experience, and good exercise!

The beach in front of Tippy's was wonderful for swimming and doing a bit of snorkeling, too.

We loved lunch at the Rainbow Inn (highlights seafood salad, rum cake), dinners at Tippy's.

Went to Brenda & Billy's BBQ in James Cistern, loved it for food and people and view and cute little boys who were there when we were.

My husband loved the Glass Window Bridge; I would have liked it more if he had stood further back. But then we wouldn't have met the two couples from Oklahoma. All three wives finally had enough of watching husbands stand too near (or maybe just too near edge for us) and we left together to go to Hidden Beach and Surfers Beach.

Sadly, I have to go now, as I have been enoying reliving the trip. I'll try to post more; I did keep a sort of travel journal, but it is, like me, a bit scattered.

Thanks to all for your advice, and I hope everyone about to go has as good a time as we did.

We've already booked for next year.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not quite a trip report

Thanks for the report. I'm heading there with my family in 4 weeks and can't wait. If I may ask, where was the shark? I saw there was an attack in Savannah Sound.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Not quite a trip report

We are going for the first time in 3 weeks! Thanks for your report. It just got me more and more excited. Looking forward to being our 'best selves' when we are there. Fingers crossed for us to see some dolphins - my kids would be over the moon!

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Not quite a trip report

Wanted to reply quickly in case shark story upset you. It was near Sky Beach Club, but not right in front of it.

My husband says he swam away from us pretty quickly. I saw him the next afternoon, too, and figured I had probably been swimming "with" him all along, just unaware.

I believe the attack was probably prompted because the man was fishing, and maybe there was blood in the water? Just theorizing...

Anyway, I plan to swim on that beach again next year, just won't go in alone. My husband and I swam there after both sightings and emerged unscathed!

Have a great time.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not quite a trip report

I'm jealous that you got to go to Twin Coves. It was on my list but then we kind of winged it most of the time and we didn't end up making it there. :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Not quite a trip report

Marisgreen -- would you mind posting detailed directions to Twin Coves? We've tried to go there on our last two visits but each time we thought the road was blocked. I later learned that I think we had bad directions. Dying to see it! Thanks much.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Not quite a trip report

Have not been there for 2 years but I can give general dirictions,

If you try to get there from the north on the old beach road I think it's blocked or overgrown but if you are heading north from GHB on Highway, turn on the paved road before the Workers House (rough for paved) it will take you to T, take sand road to south past nice home on beach, You should see water through coconut grove and trail . Park off road and your close, cove is several hundred yards north, good snorkeling, great fishing.

I'm sure someone can give you better info, if this is no longer correct

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Not quite a trip report

HI,

I think we used a combination of directions - from book (in our rental) Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera (or something like that) and directions from someone we met. I'm sure you'll get an answer from a forum member. I think we found the book's directions difficult and we sort of bumbled our way there.

We used a combination of bumbling and the book to find most things.

Good luck, and don't give up!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not quite a trip report

Great report ...

... by coincidence, I was sitting in Da Perk over a cup of coffee and a pastry when I came across it. I read it out to Kendra and she got a real kick out of it, said to tell you, "T'anks for da shout-out!"

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
115 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not quite a trip report

Glenninvb....those directions sound right. We LOVED Twin Coves....one of our favorite beaches. Definitely try to find it. We also found Twin Beach...but the tide was coming in....so couldn't stay long. But want to check it out at low tide. We'll be there mid-May.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Not quite a trip report

Buffett812,

One of our favorite beaches is Whiteland, the very south end thats about three mi. south of Northside Inn

As long as the rental car already has Eleuthera pinstripes (scratches from bushes on overgrown paths) just tuck in the mirrors and go for it, its quite a trip getting there. But like they say, the harder to find the better the beach!......... also, kind of a neat place is Kemp's bay, kind of a prehistoric looking place at low tide

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera