We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noseeums Defined

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,548 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Noseeums Defined

OK everyone again the noseeums confusion!

I have done quite a lot of research on bugs on Eleuthera, because of our past experience with different bites we received.

1. There are flies on the island that look like smaller version of our house flies. Yes they bite like the ones by our home in summer. These of course are not noseeums, because you can see them. They do hang around garbage like the standard flies. Can these be called sand flies? I suppose.

2. Now there are SAND FLEAS, not like SAND FLIES. Sand fleas are not an insect, they are a crustacean. So small you can not see them. They DO NOT FLY, but only jump (about 50cm or so). They live on the beach, in seaweed on the beach, in piles of casuarinas leaves, wood decks etc... They mainly attack your ankles, and lower legs, unless you are lying down. The females use an enzyme to penetrate your skin. They live under your skin feeding off blood. They poke out an air tube to breathe while there. That’s why some sand flea bites get worse over the days.

3. Noseeums mosquito’s - Now there is the mosquito issue in the Caribbean, and Florida. These mosquito’s are so small it very hard to see them (hence forth the nickname noseeums). Yes they fly of course, usually at dawn, and dusk. You will encounter them in shaded areas during the day in foliage also. I saw them coming at me when I was pulling a kayak up a beach path near dusk. It seemed they might have had a tan hue to them. Not easy to see at all.

OK then the battle rages on! Know your enemies.

A. The standard Fly is not so bad.

B. The noseeum Mosquito bite is very irritating, and they fly.

C. Sand Fleas are the worst as they jump, then bury in your skin.

So in conclusion B & C could both be called noseeums.

Solutions for B. & C. - Truthfully not much helps. The wind is a great factor in keeping away both B & C, that’s why the windward (Atlantic) side of the island is favored. One local told me he just goes indoors at dusk when the mosquito’s come out.

Islanders say you build up immunity the more your on Eleuthera.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Noseeums Defined

I'm sure these were noseeums/ sand fly bites. I am pretty sure that by now I know the difference. But I'm just really glad the "wings with teeth" don't pose as much of a threat as they used to.

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Noseeums Defined

Just got back from Eleuthera on Sunday and whether sand flies/noseeums or fleas, I was attacked one evening sitting on the back side of the bar at Tippy's. Itched like "mad" as some of you describe, but the worst part is, it seems as though I was still being "bit" the whole plane ride home and even yesterday - yes, actually having new welts appear. I've had the displeasure of dealing with bedbug bites before and so when we got home, we left everything in the garage and I put all our clothes in garbage bags and tied them up... hoping to suffocate anything that's still alive. Now just trying to deal with the itching, which finally seems to be calming down a bit. My lower legs look like I had the chicken pox!

Okay, so years ago, I went to a place in Mexico called Yelapa (south of Vallarta). They said the noseeums were really bad there and suggested using Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. I did and never had any issues with bugs. Looked for my remaining bar of soap before this trip but didn't find it and thought that it wouldn't be that bad in March.... wrong! So, here's a sales pitch for Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap! I will have it with me on my next trip to Eleuthera (or wherever we go next).

13. Re: Noseeums Defined

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera