We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash / Credit / Traveler's checks ???

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cash / Credit / Traveler's checks ???

Well, we're finally down to less than 4 weeks till our trip to Eleuthera. I don't think I've ever felt less "prepared" for a trip than I do for this one, but it's time to get the answers!

One question I really need answered is about money. I am pretty sure I've read stuff before about this, but honestly don't remember... I know things are expensive there - wondering about cash vs. credit vs. traveler's checks - who takes what (gas, groceries, liquor, restaurants)??? I just want to make sure I have enough cash, though I don't really want a bunch of excess, ya' know? BUT.... in case I do not bring enough cash - also wanting to make sure there is an ATM or two around. We're staying in GHB, so I'm hoping there would be something there.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash / Credit / Traveler's checks ???

Good question ...

Cash is *always* the best alternative. A few places take credit cards but there's a healthy service charge tacked on. Traveler's checks are OK for a major purchase like a car rental or home rental balance, but they're basically a pain in the neck, and they're expensive. Nothing beats wads of cash.

There are two ATMs at Governor's Harbour, but keep in mind that they dispense Bahamian dollars, and you're likely to get tagged with a healthy withdrawal fee from your bank. So if you hit the ATM, it's best to withdraw a healthy chunk all at once, not use it day-to-day as you might in the States. You can also draw down $US or $Bahamian inside the bank via your credit card, if you need to.

As far as being "prepared" goes -- don't sweat it. Ev't'ing works out ar-right here. All you really need is a debit card and a couple of clean T-shirts ... ev't'ing else just kinda falls into line ... ;-)

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash / Credit / Traveler's checks ???

Dave is right, cash is king on Eleuthera. Everyone carries around a big wad of cash and this seems to be quite safe. Check with your bank about daily/weekly ATM withdrawl limits and consider raising them while you are there. My bank has a plan where if I keep a minimum balance I get several benefits and a credit card that help with travel (no fees on withdrawls from foreign ATMs, free supplementary travel insurance and of course cash back). For some reason the Royal Bank ATM in Governor's Harbour always works for me (unless they run out of cash or the power is off), and the CIBC/First Caribbean never works for my card.

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash / Credit / Traveler's checks ???

Dave & Dave - you guys are always a wealth of information! Thanks.

To "daveaddis"... I'm actually really looking forward to not having anything "planned" while we are there! It's our 10th anniv. and all I really want to do is veg... seems like the perfect place to do so! =)

To "windsordave"... I keep a pretty large balance in my checking acct., too... I hadn't thought about talking to the bank before I leave, but maybe they'll cut me some slack w/ the ATM fees? Thanks for the tip!

Side note... what's with all the Daves??? My husband is one, too! =)

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
330 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash / Credit / Traveler's checks ???

Eluthera is the place place to arrive unprepared! We used ATM. Without regrets. Just get ther, pick up a case of Kalik and enjoy the ride. Don't worry be happy!

5. Re: Cash / Credit / Traveler's checks ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 14, 2014