We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windswept

Florida
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Windswept

We stayed at Windswept in Eleuthera last year for a week. It was wonderful. We are going back this year for 2 weeks. We were lucky enough to book the rental before it was taken off of the rental market. Everything worked very well for us. We didn't have time to sit and watch any television, there was too much to do to be a couch potato, so can't comment about the VCR. We thoroughly enjoyed talking to the gardener about the property, They had a hurricane the year before, so all of the trees had been knocked down and he was trying to get some more growing. It is hard to find salt tolerant plants when it is dry. The caretaker is a wonderful woman, she braided my hair for me and made sure we had gas for cooking and asked if there was anything she could do for us. They were just there, not in the way. It was like the good old days in Bermuda when we had servants, they became part of the furnishings, so to speak.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Florida
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Windswept

I've been to WS and disagree whole heartedly with all of the complaints I've seen. Writing from my own experience, I really love the house and the location. I like it because it reminds me of the beach houses I went to when I was a kid, before things got fancy. This is your basic beach house and a lot more. By a lot more, I mean the house is filled with personal touches that make you feel very much at home. The owner is a fantastic artist and the house has artistic touches in every room. There are also thoughtful amenities that show how much the owners care that their guests have a nice time. The gardener is kind and helpful and fixed our flat tire before we went to the airport to catch a departing flight. The location is excellent and there is a patio on the east side and a deck on the west side which means you have some place to escape to if you don't want to bake in the sun. While we were there, a big storm blew up with tremendous waves. It's very cool that you can see the ocean from ever room in the house. You can watch the waves while you fry an egg!

The owners have a great website and if you're going to Eleuthera, you should look at it. They have included a lot of informative stuff for travelers and illustrated the pages with art work. Be sure to see the page about beachcombing. I refer to the site every now and again just because I enjoy re-reading it.

The yard was very clean. I saw no cigarette butts. There's a lovely double hibiscus in the backyard. I picked flowers every single day. I found that everything that was advertised was working just fine. The gas went out while we were there and in less than an hour, the caretaker arrived with a new can. It really didn't matter though because the owners keep an electric cooktop stove under the counter for such situations. I thought that was extremely thoughtful.

We're going back this winter for a month and cannot wait! We wouldn't pick any other house! Thanks to owners for letting others share their paradise.

Happy travels, everybody.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
United States
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windswept

It's amazing that so many new Windswept fans came out of the woodwork between yesterday and today, all with no previous posts. Hmmmm, makes you wonder. When I was planning my vacation there wasn't a single person on here that had been to WS.

Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Windswept

Blatant I would say.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,514 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windswept

Maybe the owners mentioned this post to satisfied clients who felt the need to come to her defense. Maybe not?

What does it matter. I'm sure some folks enjoy the property. Some don't.

Quite frankly, I read the OP and didn't see what all the fuss was about. It's a beach house on an out island. Never touted itself as the Ocean Club.

And for $1000 a week.. it's a bargain.

The outislands aren't for everyone.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Windswept

Thank you for the nice posts. We are very appreciative and grateful for all of guests and feel that our lives have been greatly enriched by the friends we've met through the experience. We hope you continue to enjoy the Windswept.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Windswept

I hope TripAdvisor closes this topic altogether. What is constructive about negative comments that follow two nice posts about a piece of property? I didn't ask for any of this. How would you like the shoe to be on the other foot?

Thank you, scubagirl. You're the only person I've seen on this forum who seems to be able to think objectively. There are plenty of people here who enjoy hurting other people needlessly.

dayton,ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Windswept

I am planning on coming to Eleuthera next spring.I saw in one of the forums about Bonefishbarbis. Has anyone been there? The pictures on their website look fantastic. That looks like my kind of place. Isolated. I was wondering if there were places close to get food and alcohol? I do plan on trying to find you Windswept and take you up on that drink offer. You seem like really nice people that want to help other people have a good time. Any information on Bonefishbarbis would be much appreciated. I think it is located in central part of island.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
South Carolina
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Windswept

Yes, please come visit. We always have a lot of fun with our friends in Rainbow Bay. You can find my email on my website. Just go to the major vacation rental sites and look for contact information. I'm scared to put it here. I have seen something about the bonefish place. Try putting a post on eleu.net. Maybe that's where I saw it. I would love to have a visit with you. Let me know when you'll be on the island.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,514 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windswept

Windswept,

I have a house of my own to upkeep in Nassau, and I know how hard it is.. Electric goes out, water goes off, cable shuts down, no water delivery.. someone even tried to steal our water pump from our yard.

Everything seems to rust overnite and parts for appliances take months to arrive. It's part of the "charm" I keep telling myself.

When r u in town next.. we head out to Eleu often in the summer.. Regattas, family etc. Send a email: scubagirrl@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
South Carolina
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Windswept

Hi VBallman - I looked at the website and I BELIEVE that BonefishBarbi's in what used to be Aaron's Beach House. I could be wrong, but from the pictures it looks very similar. It is located in the central part of the island (south of GHB Airport) and is on a stretch of beach that really is very beautiful and private. Please send me an email. I don't want to recommend another house because you like this one and I don't want to take business away from anyone, but I can tell you some really nice beaches to go on the island and some of our favorite places. Some are secret places and I think you will like them. If you bonefish, a lot of people fish at Rainbow Bay Beach; also Ten Bay (South Side).

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bay Beach
Rainbow Bay Beach
76 Reviews
Eleuthera
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera