We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

I am in the middle of planning my trip to Nassau/HI then onto Eleuthera, and would like some advice. I am hoping to catch the ferry to HI on the 24th Nov 2012.. so not long to go now...

Hopefully I will catch the 8am ferry from Nassau to HI, where I will stay for a few days... I want to then catch the water taxi to Eleuthera, hire a 4x4 and travel down Eleuthera for 3/4 days, staying at various locations.

Will I have to go to the airport in Eleuthera to hire a 4x4 or where could I get one. I would then like to slowly travel down the island, stopping here and there, before returing the 4x4 and getting a plane back to nassau..

I know I have left my planning a bit late, but hopefully someone has done something like this before.... and can help.

My reason for visiting Eleuthera is to get away from all the major tourist traps, and exploring/snorkeling and enjoying the life on Eleuthera.

Hope someone can help or has got any ideas on what to look out for..

Dave

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

In May 2011 I rented a a car in North

Eleuthera from Mr. Fred, Fine Threads,

Neely. I called him and agreed on

a price for my one day excursion from

Nassau. I was met at the Gene's

Bay dock after I arrived via water taxi

from Spanish Wells where I got off the

Bahamas Ferry. He was all out of cars

that day so he arranged for me to get

a car From Bain's Car Rental a short

ride from the Gene's Bay dock. You

can reach Bain's rental at the number

below. They can most likely pick you up

at the dock from Harbour Island.

(242) 551-1726/557-8247

You can reach Mr. Neely by e-mail at:

fredrickakafinethreads@hotmail.com

Note only one 'e' in fredrick

You can call him at (242) 359-7780

He can meet you at the Government Dock

on mainland Eleuthera where the water

taxis dock from Harbour Island.

He is highly regarded for his car rental

business and primarily works out of the

North Eleuthera Airport.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Thats great information thank you...

My plans at the moment are to pick up the jeep hopefully? and drive down to pineapple fields, and stay there for 3 nights, there are some rooms still available at the moment.......and then I was hoping to maybe fly back to nassau.. or maybe take a boat trip or flight to exumas, for 3 or 4 days, before returning to nassau and then back to the UK.. I am still in the planning stage at the moment, so any other infor you can give me would be very valuable...

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Your plan should work out just fine. You will find it difficult if not impossible to travel directly from Eleuthera to the Exumas, likely you'll have to transit back through Nassau. I'd suggest doing that by air, it's not terribly expensive and will save you a lot of time.

Have fun ...

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Most of the locals who rent cars on the island are based in central Eleuthera around Governor's Harbour airport, but they would drop a car off for you at the dock for a small fee. Neely, that Tigervette suggested, is the only one that I know of who operates out North Eleuthera airport. The highway that runs the length of the island is paved and in good shape, so a 4x4 isn't really needed. A few sideroads, such as to Lighthouse Beach and Surfer's Beach need more clearance than a sedan. Pineapple Fields is a good choice for a few nights, and the beach there did not suffer much at the hands of Sandy. As Dave said you pretty much have to go to Nassau to get to Exuma, but flights from any of the 3 airports on Eleuthera are only $65 one way to Nassau and take about 20 minutes.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Please could you tell me how long approximately it would take by car/jeeep to get to pineapple fields from the dock just off HI going at a steady pace... would it be about 1 1/2 hours?

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Yes, 1.5 hours is about right.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Hmmm ... my good friend WD must drive a good bit more cautiously than I do, but you should be able to make Pineapple Fields in under an hour, even at reasonable speed. I can make it from Palmetto Point in about 50 minutes, and as a pre-codger I don't drive all that fast anymore.

Maybe WindsorDave included a near-mandatory stop-off for a quick beer at Elvina's ... ?? Been there, done that ... ;-)

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Hi Dave, I've noticed before that my drive time estimates are always higher than yours. You need to slow down and enjoy the scenery :)

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Well ... maybe so ... but based on the number of Bahamians who pass me on hills and curves, I'm guessing I'm driving a whole lot slower than a lot of other people ... ;-)

I just aim at getting wherever I'm going in one piece!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nassau to HI to Eleuthera

Nassau/flights/HI now all booked up... I am now undecided where to stay on Eleuthera...

I will be there for four nights, and was thinking either the Pineapple fields or Paradise Point Villa at Rainbow beach.. both work out the same price..

Rainbow Bay looks lovely, and of course is on the Carribean side. I wonder what other people think of Rainbow beach?

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera