We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eleuthera after Sandy

Shell Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Eleuthera after Sandy

Has anyone been to Eleuthera after hurricane sandy? I will be travelling to the island on Nov. 10th and am trying to get an idea of how the roadways and businesses are. Can one travel around the island or are areas similar to the east coast of the U.S.?

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

There was little structural damage, mostly just some flooding. Things should be back to normal by the 10th.

Shell Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Thanks for your response. What part of island are you at? Thank you again.

Shell Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Thanks for your response. What part of island are you at? Thank you again.

Edited: 10:35 am, October 31, 2012
Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

We are flying down tomorrow morning and will be staying in north central Eleuthera. I have spoken with our caretaker and some neighbors and the damage from Sandy does not seem to be very bad.

Shell Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Best of luck on your trip. Thx

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Hi , I just came back from Eleuthera , Yesterday , Our home is on Windermere , Last year power wasn't restored for over two months , We had power on by Sunday , The island is fine , business as usual , the leaves will start to come back in the next few weeks. Minor damage , mostly flooding but nothing compared to Irene.

Gerry

Shell Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Thanks Gerry

Atlanta, Georgia...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Hey how was your trip we are heading down Nov 26

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Other than lingering salt burn on some foliage, and some seaweed buildup on the leeward side, you would not know a Cat. 2 hurricane hit the island a couple of weeks ago. And the foliage is making a rapid comeback due to some recent rains.

Shell Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eleuthera after Sandy

Having just returned from Eleuthera, I can agree with the above post to a point. I must say, the winds on the Atlantic side were extremely strong (not breezes) for the first few days. I had to change houses due to damage and hold up for the materials to repair this home. Electricity was still off and on throughout our visit. Just be prepared, these winds did die down, but the snorkeling was limited due to the sands in the water due to these winds, even after the winds mellowed. The vegatation was starting to show signs of recovery, but the bare trees and brush are visible. My wife and I did enjoy the trip, but the hurricane did leave it's marks.