We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer Opportunities?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Volunteer Opportunities?

My husband and I will be on the island for a luxurious 10 days this November, and I was thinking that it might be a good chance for us to give back to the place we love so much. We can easily give up one day of soaking in the sun (and the Kaliks) to do something for the benefit of others. While we could probably informally arrange something once we get there, I thought it would be better to try to organize something in advance. Anyone have any ideas on who we should contact? I'm a lawyer by trade, but we both love kids and we're both pretty handy, so we aren't too particular on the activity itself. Any help is appreciated!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Whereabouts will you be staying? One of hte good organizations on the island is the Bahamas Methodist Habitat in James Cistern -- just north of Governors Harbour. Abraham McIntyre and others do good work in the local community and welcome volunteers. You do not have to be Methodist to participate. Their website is below:

http://www.methodisthabitat.org/

And any of the local primary schools would be delighted to have you come in a read story or talkw ith the children. The Governors Harbour Haynes Library offers a story hour to the kids and I am sure guest readers would also be welcomed.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Two years ago we went to Roatan, Honduras for our winter escape and had a blast visiting a local 'government run ' school and also went to see the kids play their drums at tin pan alley. It was so fun and rewarding we took a bunch of school supplies etc. what are the schools like for the children in eleuthra. I assume tourism and fishing are the top occupations for the local people? Thanks for any info!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Thanks much for the info! Those are both great ideas. We are staying in North Palmetto Point so it's pretty easy for us to get anywhere from there.

mississippi
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Messy 78, thank you for your post. We have a group coming from Mississippi in May 2013 and we would love to volunteer a day or two. We will be checking on various opportunities so please, all of you on the island, tell us where we can help and what we can bring with us.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Hi megsy, you might also like to donate your time to the potcakes/cats if you love animals. You can find them on facebook, thanks. If you would like more info just ask.

mississippi
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Just curious. One of the guys in our group is a veterinarian here in the states. Would he be able to volunteer on the island?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

Check out Pet Pals Eleuthera Bahamas on Facebook. I would guess they would welcome help from a veterinarian or any other help.

8. Re: Volunteer Opportunities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera