We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling from shore

Boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling from shore

I am on Eleuthera for couple of days and have been looking for some decent places (reefs with fish and other marine life) for snorkeling off shore (not requiring boat).

I went snorkeling on light house beach - there were some reefs but no life at all (I was told that locals poured bleach into water to do something with lobsters at the same time killing reefs - not sure how much of it is true).

Then I went on harbor island with all my gear and again... they have nice sandy beaches but not good for snorkeling (btw, diving centers are closed until oct 15). I also had no luck at Current.

Can you provide me with some ideas for good places to snorkel around eleuthera?

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling from shore

Hi there:

Although it's been a couple of years for us being on island, we found a couple of places that were not bad.

Double Bay has a small cay just off shore. We saw some pretty fair sea life near the rocks. Be wary of the tide, as it can be a tough slog swimming back to shore. Some people have reported seeing nurse sharks, but not us. You will find lobster there too, don't know if it's still off season.

Also in Double Bay, at the very south tip there is a very nice rocky area that can be reached from the shoreline. Again, nothing over the top, but but better than what we saw on the Caribbean side.

We're back in December, so if you find a nice spot, please report back.

Annie

daisytown
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling from shore

The best snorkeling I found was at 4th hole beach at the Cape Eleuthera resort. It was outstanding. I also enjoyed ten bay to the left far out around the rocky coast. Twin sisters was nice also. Double bay was too choppy but I heard the far right side is good.

Nancy

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling from shore

Some of the best snorkeling can be had on the Atlantic side of the island all along the shoreline from Poponi Beach -Unique Village all the way to Double Bay

The off shore reefs are easy to access and have an abundant amount of ocean life to see..

The reefs are very active ... you must pick a time that does not follow a storm or ruff surf to be crystal clear but again all along the North Palmetto Point Atlantic ocean side there is great snorkeling.

Now the poster on the 4th whole was right on also and again it depends on where you are staying on island.

As you can see we are the "Pink Sand Cottage" owners and we are on the North Palmetto Point side..this is not an ad for us but just the facts that are well know by many and there are many nice rental homes in the North Palmetto Point area along with ours.

Boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling from shore

Thanks for all your advice. I tried double bay today and it was a bit better. I cannot give a fair grade here since I was alone on the beach I was not that willing to go out far - wierd thing to say but i wish there were more tourists around :) ...at least one more.

I used cookies to feed fish which was fun.

The only problem is access to the beach. Private properties all along the shore. There was one little spot past green house that possibly might fit one car without blocking the path. Another spot that would fit 2-3 cars was at the very south end of the bay. Probably there are more but that is what an average tourist was able to find within 30 min of cruising via bumps, sand and puddles.

5. Re: Snorkeling from shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 13, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera