We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Virginia
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Part 1 is Paradise Island and Part 2 is Eleuthera.

Virginia
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

We left Paradise Island Sunday morning for the airport. Four more people were joining us for our Eleuthera leg and two of them were in line at Southern Air as we walked up. Much of our baggage was put on a second plane, so when we arrived at Governors Harbor, one vehicle rushed to the grocery store (it was 1 o’clock on Sunday) and one vehicle waited for the second plane with the rest of the bags. We were hoping to get beer at the airport liquor store but the owner also drives a taxi and he closed up to take a fare. Lucky for us, a couple of our group stopped by Ronnie’s Hideaway to say hi to Seabreeze and they were able to buy a case of Kaliks there.

Restaurants: Cocodimama’s Sunday night to see Seabreeze, Scotty and Chico play. The breeze and food and drinks made for a perfect evening.

Breakfast at the Buccaneer Club is always good even when they didn’t have fish that day.

Sunset Inn had the best cracked conch and Pina Colada’s on the island.

The Blue Room had great lunch items – conch burgers, fried chicken, cracked conch and hamburgers. It’s a good idea if you call ahead.

I love Tippy’s shrimp and lobster pizza and everything else I’ve ever had there. Add in the great drinks and Saturday music and it’s a keeper.

Thursday night was the Beach House with good food and live music.

Brenda and Billy Stubbs’ BBQ is really the best food on the island. Mrs. Stubbs let me help box up desserts since I was ordering 12 lunches. She liked hearing that some people call mixed vegetables succotash.

Homemade ice cream next to Island Gifts for $2 a cone. Rum raisin….

Our two best meals: Fresh grouper cooked in foil on the grill with onions and peppers, rice, and 2 cakes from Mrs. Pinder – rum and pineapple upside down cake.

A big breakfast of eggs, bacon, fried rice, cinnamon toast, orange slices, rum cake and pineapple cake. Yum.

Snorkeling: French Leave – great.

Twin Coves – great. The ship wreck is still there. We didn’t see the dolphins.

Cape Eleuthera was a big day. 1 hour and 10 minutes from Governors Harbor. We found 4th hole even without the sign. It just now makes sense to me that this is where people said to go at high tide because it is so shallow. Well, we were there at low tide. It was fun anyway once we got out past the shallow part. Wow. Lots and lots of fish. Also, lots and lots of sea urchins. And lots of fire coral. But it was so beautiful. We saw a barracuda, a lion fish, angel fish and a gazillion yellow fish (grunts maybe?). We snorkeled to our hearts content. As we were leaving, Donald came up in his boat. Robert said he thought Kamper was with him. Robert talked to Donald a few minutes. A super, delightful guy. He confirmed our directions to the cliff jumping. The tide was too low to jump at the usual spot because we wouldn’t be able to climb out, but we found a slightly lower jump just a ways down the shore. We jumped and dove for awhile. It was about 10’. Just enough for a thrill, not enough to break a hip. Next we moved on to the canal drift. It was the end of low tide but we could see the water was still moving towards the marina. We just figured we would go slower. Or maybe not…. About a fourth of the way into the drift, the tide turned. We were now “drifting” upstream. By the end of the drift, we were kicking like crazy. What made it worse was a group of kids came right behind us and their staff recognized our mistake. They walked to the other end and were jumping off the bridge having a great time while we were making slow, exhausting headway. Throughout the entire upstream drift towards the marina, I am thinking to myself – I wonder where the fish cleaning station is and I wonder if the sharks will be there and I wonder if that tiger shark will be there. Except for Robert (my husband), no one else knew about the sharks or they wouldn’t have gone at all. One of our group didn’t snorkel, and she was calling to her husband from the bridge, “Charlie, there are sharks up here. I’ve already called the insurance man.” The kids and their staff weren’t worried about the sharks so I knew we would be okay. But the sharks were really big and there were lots of them.

Ten Bay was hot, hot, hot. And that was just the water. I’m so glad there was shade there. It was beautiful but we decided to move on to Double Bay across the island. We had to jockey our two cars around with another car sharing the tiny parking area, but coordinated effort is a wonderful thing. Then on to the beach for good snorkeling near the rocks and some good shelling. The 13-year-old in our group had quite the eye-opener as she walked down the beach with two other women. They walked right by a naked man who greeted them as he sat down in his beach chair. She will have an interesting summer vacation essay for the nuns when she heads back to school.

Special Moments: Having Seabreeze join us for a memorable evening of dinner and singing. He sang a really cool Potcake song that I recorded on my camera. We were in a Great Room and as he was singing another song, the words started coming out, “the pot is steaming, it’s boiling over… look at her she is not listening to me.” We realized Seabreeze was telling our friend that her rice was boiling over, which it was and she jumped up to fix it.

Listening to Jonathan, our fisherman friend, explain how he survived hurricane Irene on his boat.

Looking at the night sky and watching for shooting stars.

Fishing with Paul Petty.

Dancing at the Fish Fry with the biggest and most fun crowd ever. We requested some 60’s beach music and one of our group won a bottle of wine for the best Twist.

Spending time with the potcakes and cats.

The hardest part: Saying goodbye to our Eleuthera friends.

Mentioned in this post
Buccaneer Club
Buccaneer Club
423 Reviews
Eleuthera
The Blue Room
The Blue Room
20 Reviews
Eleuthera
Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Wonderful trip report, thanks. We were at the fish fry the night that one of your group won the bottle of wine for best Twist. I agree, the fish fry during July was great. Big crowds, everyone relaxed, dancing, and having a lot of fun.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Great report! The people of Eleuthera are just awesome!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Very nice report! It gave me butteflies!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Glovaff is that you? We were at the fish fry too! We saw your friend win the twist.

Virginia
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Yep, Kamper1. It's us. I wish we were all wearing name tags at the Fish Fry.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Hi Lynn, great trip report! I'm writing down things as I read. Looking forward to more pics & Thank You for the one's sent. I just booked a trip for Feb., the DIF is gettin' me bad! So happy you had such a wonderful trip! Cheers

Virginia
Level Contributor
177 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

Good for you, Deb. Now I'm jealous. I sent a few more pics tonight but I need to get the rest on a cd for you.

9. Re: Trip Report 7/11 - 7/22 2012 Part 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera