We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How civilized is it?

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
How civilized is it?

We are contemplating having our next vacation on Eleuthera. We just got back from Jost van Dyke in the bvi and while it was perfect for me my wife said it was a little rough for her. We honeymooned on St. John and she is looking for something like that, a little out of the way but still modernized a little. Is Eleuthera right for us?

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
330 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How civilized is it?

Well said!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
67 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How civilized is it?

Alright I'm sold! We are renting a villa from vrbo

http://mobile.vrbo.com/347540 anyone have any experience with this villa or area? Also I hear that rental cars are hit and miss? Anyone have a recommendation on a good one? We have 7-9 people going with us. Would two rental cars be idea or get one big car like a suburban or such?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How civilized is it?

I would go with 2 cars unles you can get a big van. Luggage may require 2 trips though. We have stuffed 9 people into a van before, but 5 of them were kids.

I'm not sure who has vans to rent, but I'm sure you'll hear. You can also check www.eleu.net and they will help you find someone. Stanton Cooper, Naaman Rolle And Arthur Nixon have all helped us in the past, all great to work with.

exuma
Level Contributor
298 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How civilized is it?

Consider Exuma. It's more developed than Eleuthera, more compact so shorter travel, more to do like boat trips, boat rentals, more restaurants, equally good beaches and more flights.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How civilized is it?

I would argue that Eleuthera has more (thus better) beach choices. We have found that a windy day in Exuma often means "no beach day". Not so in Eleuthera.

I mostly agree on the other points though.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
330 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How civilized is it?

We stayed at 7 palms with a big group and it was great

Indiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How civilized is it?

I can attest to the driving situation. While I don't mind driving 10-20 minutes to get to the nearest restaurant, the rental car situation is probably not what your wife is looking for. I just drove a mid-90's minivan all over the island that not only had every dashboard light on, but a door that wouldn't close (we tied it open with rope, eventually... for air conditioning). Our little van was a trooper (made it to Lighthouse Beach TWICE!), however this was one of the better rentals on the island. :/

I completely agree with nashpam. Development... not so much. It's all in the adventure!

18. Re: How civilized is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera