We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eleuthera to Cat

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Eleuthera to Cat

We're staying on Eleuthera in December and want to visit Shanna's Cove and Arthur's Town on Cat Island, since we were there last year. I checked the forum here to see if there was any way to get from one island to the other, but the last post was in 2009 and the answer was no, if you fly, you can only route through Nassau. Is that still true? Is it possible to boat from Lighthouse to Shanna's Cove? My husband (who's sailed throughout the Caribbean) says it's open water and too many miles for a comfortable trip. Any advice?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eleuthera to Cat

Unfortunately, it is still a case of you can't get there from here. From Eleuthera to Cat Island you will need to transit through Nassau. There is also a charter flight option, which depending on the number of people may be less costly than the commerical flights.

Your husband is right; it is open water, but if you were to go on the Exuma Sound side, it would not be nearly as bad as the ocean side. On a calm day, it is very doable (and we've done it a number of times sportfishing from Nassau on day trips)

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eleuthera to Cat

I've been to Arthur's Town. A couple of times. It's OK if you're already staying on Cat Island, and Cat Island does have its charms -- but I can't imagine what the attraction would be of jumping through all the travel hoops to make a special trip to Arthur's Town from Eleuthera.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eleuthera to Cat

To go back to Grammy's Cocktails by the Sea, a bar on the water, on a road leading out of town. We spent many afternoons there drinking Kaliks and talking to Grammy and other folks. We stayed at a place in Shanna's Cove last year and it had a beautiful beach, great food, terrific owners and since we're returning at Christmas time with our 3 grown boys, I thought they'd appreciate it, as we did. But it's sounding like it would be a very expensive trip.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eleuthera to Cat

Thanks Dusty. For a party of 5, do you know how much a charter would cost? If you left from Lighthouse Point -- if that's possible -- and went by way of Exuma Sound to Shanna's Cove (on the map, it's along the curve right at the northern tip of Cat) do you know how long it would take? And, last question, how much would a boat rental be? Thanks in advance for helping me noodle this out. If you haven't been to Shanna's, by the way, I really recommend it! Robin

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eleuthera to Cat

Pouillyfume, you won't find a boat rental in that area that would suit your needs -- way too small to go venturing off in. So unless you have access to someone with a bigger boat, that really isn't an option.

The closest airport would be Rock Sound, about 45 minutes north of Lighthouse Point. There used to be one at Cape Eleuthera, but that has long closed. Your best bet would be to look into a private air charter.

There are a few that come to mind, but they are based out of Nassau or Long Island. I'm not familiar with the Eleuthera or Cat Island based ones. You could try phoning Odyssey Aviation in Nassau, as they operate in Rock Sound. They can point you in the right direction.

Odyssey Aviation Rock Sound

MYER – Rock Sound Airport

Rock Sound, Eleuthera, The Bahamas

Station Manager: Sylvie McCartney

Phone: 242-557-7070

info.myer@odysseybahamasfsp.com

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eleuthera to Cat

Dusty, Thank you SO much. Robin

7. Re: Eleuthera to Cat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 29, 2013