We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

Heading out tomorrow for the island. Are there any good local maps available showing stores and restaurants? Where would we find them? airport? grocery store? - or should we plan to take a GPS or pen and paper to write instructions from natives to get around?

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

You can print the maps on this site to get you started: http://www.eleuthera-map.com/

There is a pretty good map for sale at stores such as Pam's in Gregory Town. There are very few signs on the island for things like beach access, but wandering around and getting a little lost is part of the charm of an island like Eleuthera. Locals are happy to give directions and the island is narrow enough that you can't go far wrong. The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera does have GPS for each beach.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism prints a really nice map of Eleuthera on one side and Harbour Island on the other. It most likely is available at shops on Eleuthera. I got mine while on the Bahamas Ferry from Nassau to Harbour Island. It depicts many points of interest.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

I'm looking into coming in spring and ordered a Franko's map to start researching. I always find that they have lots of information for water and inland :)

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

Island Farm also usually carries maps, just ask if you happen to stop there. They are in South Palmetto Point on Queen's Hwy, a great stop for some really great salsa's, jams, bread & a walk thru the gardens. I believe you can google them. Cheers P.S. the maps are 2 pages, both sides printed, so 4 actual maps, were $10.00 last I knew.

UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

We used Franko's map. It was OK, but not quite detailed enough. I would recommend the 'Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera' book if you plan to visit beaches off the beaten track. They can be quite tricky to find otherwise. The people in Eleuthera are so friendly though that asking for directions is a real pleasure.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

Dont forget there is a tourism shop in Govenors Harbour, just up from the liquor store and supermarket.. they will give you a map that ~Tigervette mentioned..

LA
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

We are heading to Eleuthera for our first time, in 3 weeks. I looked for the book "Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera". I found a 2007 version. Is this the most recent update? Do you think anything significant has changed (in other words will it still be worthwhile in 2013)? Any other map or book suggestions for newbies?

Thanks in advance.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

That's the latest version and definitely worth it.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

If you have access to wi-fi and a laptop or iPad, it's a good idea to check out your destinations in advance via Google Earth -- helps you get a feel for the geography, landmarks, distances, etc., that can be hard to determine with the guide book alone.

Don't worry about "Elusive Beaches ..." being 6 years old -- the beaches and the access roads seldom change much.

10. Re: Any good maps? - leave tomorrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera