We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why extra person charge for house rentals?

chesapeake
Level Contributor
193 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Why extra person charge for house rentals?

I've seen this a lot since planning our vacation. We have a family of five and many houses charge extra person fees for more than 4 people (sometimes more than 2). I don't get this. I can understand not wanting more people than a house can hold, but if the house sleeps 5 or 6 why charge for the extra 1 or 2-- especially if it's ONE family????

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

That's a fair question.

Basically, it boils down to two major homeowner expenses: cleaning and utilities, which are incredibly expensive on the island. Visitors who are shocked at the price of gasoline would be doubly shocked if they saw our bills for power, propane, water, etc. Electricity here actually is proportionately more expensive than gasoline.

Four people will use twice the linens, beach towels, etc., as two people, all of which needs to be laundered, and all of that takes water and power.

And 4-5 people in the house for the week means twice as many people taking hot showers, two bedrooms instead of four that are consuming lights, ceiling fans, AC, etc. Just refrigerating and cooking the food for 4 people will consume considerably more energy than 2. If the house is on gov't. water, all those showers and extra loads of laundry add up. Even if it's on cistern water, there's still the electric pump and water heater and, again, more loads of laundry.

With a family of 5, I'm sure you understand that cleaning for 5 certainly consumes more time and energy than cleaning for 2.

Hope that helps clear things up, enjoy your visit here ...

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

Correction to above: Sorry, should say "2 to 3 bedrooms instead of 1 that are consuming lights, fans, AC ... etc." Wish there were an edit function here.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

Dave- very well written explanation! We have also found the opposite situation where when a house has 2 or 3 bedrooms and is priced accordingly for 4-6 that the homeowner has given us a price break when I explain there are just 2 of us (and of course the subsequent smaller use of water, power, etc and less to clean up after).

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

As well as the greatly increased electricity and water costs that Dave has mentioned when renting to larger families there is more "wear and tear" on the house. Replacing items on Eleuthera can be very expensive. Also if you rely on a cistern for water and rent to large families during dry periods you can end up with an empty cistern (not to mention a full sewage tank needing to be pumped). This is also a fairer system for renters. As DnAMobile has suggested it is not fair for a couple to pay the same rent as a large family when they are using a fraction of the electricity and water.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

This type of pricing is more common in other areas of the Bahamas (The Abacos I noticed) and other parts of the Caibbean. I have not seen it as much on Eleuthera. I think the majority of home rentals on Eleuthera are still priced by the week (and not amt of people) and the price can change depending the season (high vs low). Try vrbo.com and homeaway.com. The last time I looked, the homes there were priced a flat weekly rate and not dependent on how many people are staying. But I can understand why a homeowner may want to charge it that way.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,666 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

As ever, WD adds yet a whole new layer of wisdom to the discussion: I didn't even get into the "secondary" issue of wear-and-tear, and the hassle/expense of replacing things here.

Example: More than once we've had brand-new sets of thick, fluffy, imported white towels and washcloths ruined by various hair-care and sunscreen products that leave an indelible orange or brown stain when laundered. They're now "shop towels."

No matter how "clean" they might be, you don't dare lay out a set of "stained" towels for visitors these days, or you find your property ripped to shreds on TripAdvisor. :-0 !!!

I don't blame the visitors, as all of our guests have been super people, love 'em to death, and they'd never intentionally damage anything. But, regardless, damages occur and the homeowner has to make up the difference.

I'm not asking for any sob-story meltdowns of sympathy for "da landlord" -- just trying to calmly and logically explain why some things here cost what they cost.

Aside: I'm lining up a trip to a major European capital for later in the year, and finding that many hotels there, including 4-star joints, levy a surcharge for extra room guests.

Thanx for the follow-ups, etc. ... d.

chesapeake
Level Contributor
193 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

Thanks for the responses. Makes sense now.

8. Re: Why extra person charge for house rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 23, 2013