We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Questions...

Imperial, Missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Questions...

I'm planning a vacation for 4 to visit at the end of July into August. I think I've finally settled on a rental. The Canta Libre House in North Palmetto. If anyone has any information on it or has stayed there I would love more information.

I'm now working on our airfare and have found some smaller airlines. Does anyone have any recommendations? We have the option of flying into Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Nassau. I've found an airline called Pineapple Air that will fly from Nassau that is pretty inexpensive, but I can't find any reviews on the airline. I'm just searching for cheaper alternatives to Bahamas Air.

Thanks!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Questions...

I fly Pineapple 10-15 times a year for local inter-island flights and heartifly recommend them. Their planes are smaller 19 seaters, but do the job. The last 5 flights I've taken with them have left early, so do make sure you are near the gate and listen carefully for the flight announcement! When everyone has checked it, they leave.

For North Palmetto, you will want to fly into Governors Harbour airport.

I can't help with the rental itself, as I always stay with friends on in a hotel when I go, but I can tell you that it is a nice central location with lots to do and see as well as easy access to the amenities of Governor's Harbour. Do get a rental car, as you will need it for exploring the island. In Governor's Harbour, I've used Stanton Cooper and found him reliable.

TRAVERSE CITY
Level Contributor
50 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Questions...

I have used Southern Air,, Pineapple and Bahamas Air. All have pluses and minuses. BA flies bigger planes but is not as reliable. Pneapple air leaves earliest and is pretty reliable.

I think Tarpum Bay is a good spot to park yourself and is centrally located to all parts of the island. I have stayed at Culmer Cottage and find it to be comfortable and free of the sand fleas you get with a rental that is plopped on the sand.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Questions...

lynn57, is the Tarpum Bay property you are recommending to the OP the one you own and rent out?

Tarpum Bay is only 20 - 25 minutes from Governor's Harbour, so it is more or less in the same cental area that the OP is renting in North Palmetto Point. Personally, in July and August you want an ocean facing rental, as it will be very hot with the possibility of bugs, and the ocean breeze will go a long way to solving both problems. Tarpum Bay, though a lovely tranquil little settlement is mostly on the lee side and subject to calm.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Questions...

I've used Southern Air with no problems. I think NPP is an excellent area to stay, especially for your first time. I've not stayed at Canta Libre, but did drive by it when staying at our rental. Definitely in a good location; and you should have a good breeze.

Imperial, Missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Questions...

Thanks for all the comments! One other question. I keep reading about the fishing there and was wondering if I wanted to try it, would I need a permit or license?

Thanks again!

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Questions...

Matt: No license needed to fish from shore or from a small boat on the reefs near shore. If you go deep-sea fishing, your charter captain should have a boat license that covers the people he's taking out.

Have fun ...

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Questions...

Bahamian boat captains -- charter or otherwise -- do not need licenses to fish in Bahamian waters. American owned charters should have a license, but many do not. The guests on the charter do not need a license for fishing -- just the boat itself based on the above criteria.

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Questions...

We've never rented Canta Libre but we 've driven passed it many times when we rented Blue Palms for a wk.in '1/09 Canta Libre looks nice from the photos and it is was pretty much hidden from the road which is nice.

Blue Palms is on the beachfront side of th main road along N. Palmetto Pt. ( also w/pool) Canta Libre is on the other side of this road. You will have to walk across this tiny dirt road and pass through the home next to Blue Palms to get to the beach.

I think the owners or Cante Libre also own the home next to Blue Palms. So you can walk through that property for beach access. I recall that someone told me renters at Cante Libre can also use the tiki hut w/chairs at this beachfront home when no one else was renting this home,

This was in Jan/Feb of 09 so check w/owners to be sure about all this.

I am sure the Canta Libre is great and you will have a fantastic time!

Imperial, Missouri
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Questions...

Thank you for all the input. It's been very helpful!

I'm not searching for a car rental for the week. I've read mixed opinions about the need for 4-wheel drive. We definitely want to check out several beaches, so what are people's thoughts on whether we need 4-wheel drive or not? Also if anyone has any recommendations for people to rent from that would be very helpful. I've contacted several people who's email addresses I could find, but haven't started making phone calls. My long distance plan is outrageous to call the Bahamas and I haven't had a chance to get a long distance calling card.

Thanks again!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Questions...

Hi! I see you are from Imperial! I live in Oakville in South County! We were just there in April and LOVED it!

We flew direct from STL to Maimi then from Miami direct to North Eleuthera and rented a car from McClain Pinder who brought us a car there instead of Gov Harbor at no additional charge. It worked out best time wise and money wise - check it out.

His e-mail is: mcclain_pinder@yahoo.com

He was very nice and rented us an Explorer for $60 day. I am glad we had something a little more rugged and with good ground clearance as many of the roads are rough.

We rented Blue Palms right down from where you are looking and it was AMAZING!!! Maria, the owner was awesome to deal with.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

So jealous - I am ready to go back! The beaches are unbelievable stunning!

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera