We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs / Mosquitos

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bugs / Mosquitos

We are headed to Eleuthera late June for 3 weeks......Staying on the Caribbean side just north of Gregory Town.

I have heard that the bugs are terrible that time of year .... ?????

Input?

Any "MUST-DO's" on the island would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

If you are staying where the wind doesn't usually blow, then you will see skeeters and no-see-ums. Just about guaranteed. This will be our first summer living in the Bahamas, so we are still learning too, but even now, when the winds are light, the mosquitoes are out, Spent most of this evening sitting on our deck (Atlantic side of Long Island) with no bugs seen. Wind is fairly light, so that is a bit of a surprise. We have been out other evenings when both the mosquitoes and no-see-ums ran us inside. Sometimes hard to predict.

Ontario
Level Contributor
353 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

If you typically attract bugs, then yes, it can be bad for you that time of year. Hide indoors at dawn and dusk, or cover your legs - especially the ankles - during those times. I bring those Off Lanterns if I'm going to be sitting out in the evenings. I hate spraying stuff on myself, so I try the citronella and use deet spray as last resort if I must.

Must Do's:

- Light House Beach

- Sit and enjoy a lunch on a patio overlooking a beautiful beach... there are several restaurants that offer just that. Beach House, Cocodimamas, Pascal's, etc.

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

How are the bugs right now? (mid-May)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,718 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

Taylor, I just flew back from Rock Sound this morning, and the mosquitos and sand flies were in full force once the sun goes down. This was largely in the Cape Eleuthera area where there are a few swamps and open patches of water. Plus there has been heavy rain recently and lots of standing water for them to breed in.

Thankfully, no reports of dengue fever or anything nasty -- just a nuisance. Take bug spray with you, or wear long legged/sleeved ligth-coloured clothing. If you can get your hands on it locally, try the Abaco Neem bug lotion, which is entirly non-toxic and easy on the skin. Other sprays and lotions are readily availble on the island, though you may wish to bring your own.

islandcrazy65, Preeb covers the bug question nicely, so as for places to go and see:

1. Rental car a MUST

2. Day trip over to Harbour Island (for lunch and a look around)

3. Ditto on Spanish Wells (combine with a trip to Current and Preacher's Cave with a swim around the Devil's Backbone beach.

4. Boiling Hole and caves

5. Glass Window bridge (take your camera)

6. Surfer's Beach at Gregory Town

7. Hatchet Bay Caves

8. Gregory Town pineapple (should be some left when you are there)

9. old Navy base just south of the Governor's Harbour airport (great beaches there too)

10. Governor's Harbour. Lunch at Tippy's or breakfast at Banks Road Deli. Hayne's Library (free internet) and Anglican Church on the harbour.

11. Friday night Fish Fry at Governor's Harbour

12. Tarpum Bay (lots of photo ops)

13. Fresh fruit stand in James Cistern on the bay

14. French Leave Beach

15. Rock Sound blue hole

16. Lighthouse Beach

17. Sheryl's Restaurant in Deep Creek (best conch burger)

18. The Island School and Cape Eleuthera Institure (wonderful program with environmental program as well as marine research) tous daily

19. Leon Levy Native Plant Preserve in Governor's Harbour

20. Queen's Bath at Gregory Town (you'll need it after all ths exploring!!)

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

We came back on the 12th - One night, we went to Ky Beach restaurant... around 6:30 (all outdoor dining)... bad idea... The food is outstanding. We discovered that the mosquitos also thought so... in large quantities...

The staff tried mosquito coils, sterno...they got us!

Next year, we're going for 2 weeks, but we're going to be indoors by sundown!. I you fish, spray bug spray before you go to the beach - take the spray with you and redo every 30 minutes.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

Thanks so much! Sounds perfect

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

Here now for a week or so and the bugs are brutal at dusk here (Club Med).

Drove down to the Cape today and the folks at the Island School said they were the worst anyone could remember (lots of rain last week).

Just Bring some good bug dope and you'll be fine - except for dusk until about now (21:00), no worries.

Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

We are in Eleuthera right now for 3 weeks as well. We are halfway through our vacation. This is our second time here. My kids are eaten up like crazy from the bugs, but I have been more disciplined with the bug spray so I only have a few. We brought Off Deep Woods with us. We have gone through half of it, so we are right on track. :) I would recommend Barbie's for lunch in Tarpum Bay or Sammy's in Rock Sound. Both are great restaurants! Lighthouse Beach is awesome, but I have to say that Double Bay and Ten Bay are a close second and third considering the long trek to Lighthouse. If you come down farther south, you could make a day of it and go to Lighthouse Beach, go to Sammy's for lunch/dinner and go to the Rock Sound Market. It is a big grocery store (comparatively speaking) on the island. Have a fabulous time!!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

Just got back and no see ums were ferocious! even w/breeze!

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs / Mosquitos

How are the bugs/mosquitoes in November?