We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

Corona, California
Level Contributor
44 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

I found an old Shell's Wonderful World of Golf VHS tape in the garage which had a match between Arnold Palmer and Julius Boros at the Cotten Bay Club on Eleuthera - in looking at a Google Maps it looks like there is a course there but not much else.

Is the course open these days?

nassau
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

I'm limited to chipping balls in our front lawn....don't even get me started about golfing in the Bahamas!!!! It's a joke.

Mississauga, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

I once heard the great Fuzzy Zoeller say something regarding golf course developing. He said he looks for ugly pieces of land to turn into beautiful golf courses. I think I heard that in an interview with David Feherty. This would definitely rule out Eleuthera. I agree with the both of you, we should leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is, a paradise to relax in.

Tarpum Bay
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

Just came back from a drive-by of the Cotton Bay course and it is 100% UNPLAYABLE. You can barely see the bunkers and only a vestige of this once majestic course remains. I won't weigh in on the geo-politcal implications of this sad demise but the supposed installation of a new course just north at Jacks Bay seems insane. Sarmiento has thrown in what ever towel remained. What a bummer.

Lake Placid, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

My wife and I were there 3 years ago and , yes the course is unplayable.

BUT, if you google the club and read some of the history, it was kinda fun to walk the few holes that run along the road and imagine the course and how it played which we did without anyone bothering us. Hey, you're on Eleuthera, and what do you do but explore! I recall a new development under const. up the road and there were signs of an initial 9 hole course. Has anyone seen or heard of what was going on there? I've got some pictures if I can find them of Cottonwood that I'll post when I get a chance. I recall a small rundown hut near the entry of Cottonwood that had a women sitting there reading and knitting, with 1 set of 1960's golf clubs. We stopped to say hi and as friendly as the folks are, she didn't have much to say , other than that we could still play the course for, ..... $100 ! :D

1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

I was the golf g.o. - instructer in 93' and the course was a gem ! the Kaiser's, Quakers, and Johnson&Johnson's. Soon after I heard about the Columbian dr. running his four wheeler's all over the place. Cristy O'Conner was giving private lessons, I remarked some Yale golf bags from time to time. That Trent Jones sr. course is what golf is all about, the wind the sand ,126 traps !!! When it blows you better know how to hit it low ! Regards to all ! Gregory Nagy 450-229-2680

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

I was at a party tonight and a current Cotton Bay resident tells me that the NEW Cotton Bay golf course is sprouting grass on its fairways...and the OLD Cotton Bay golf course is going to be resurrected by Four Seasons soon. I wouldn't bet on any of that. Golf courses and their chemicals don't do any favors to the pristine oceans, but that's not why I wouldn't bet on seeing two new golf courses south anytime soon.

tireboy
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

Golfinggreek.....do you even see the "irony" in your post.....one sentence... " Eleuthera is such a beautiful island, a paradise". ( very very true). Followed by ".. I would love to see a really nice resort(s) and golf course(s) there.....". I always wonder what goes through the heads of people that go the route of .... Such and such is a paradise and so beautiful so lets change that and make it into a totally different kind of place.

Edited: 8:12 am, April 30, 2014
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
759 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

I was there in October. I've played Cotton Bay many, many times in years past. At times it was barely playable. At other times we had to modify the rules of golf significantly to compensate for shots that landed in the fairway that had no chance of being found. You got automatic relief if your ball went into a crab hole on 8.

The course is no longer even recognizable as a golf course. The greens, if you can call them that, are worse than rough. There are no semblances of fairways, tees, or greens. There are no flags, tee markers, or anything else like that. Even, the bunkers, which used to be the part of the course that was maintained, are completely overgrown.

The new golf course, which wraps around Jack's Bay, was being worked on. Satellite imagery shows the layout. It didn't have grass growing on it when I was there, and looked to be very much a construction site with lots of heavy equipment moving dirt, sod, and sand around.

I hope the project turns out well. It would be really nice to have a golf course there again. Oh, and if anybody finds my stinkin' 3 wood please send it my way. Somebody 'borrowed' it from my locked shed. I'm assuming they needed something to whack snakes with.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

Good gawd ... of all the things that might sprout legs and "wander off" around here ... why would somebody run off with your 3-wood? Well, Bret, try to look at it philosophically: at least it wasn't your 8-iron.

(Having dove the wall together, which do you suppose would be more dangerous on Eleuthera: scuba diving or trying to play a round of golf ... ;-)

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
759 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Is Cotton Bay Golf Course Open?

I have to give you my funny Eleu golf story now. The golf course is much more dangerous. Here's why.

I used to keep my clubs in a travel golf bag in my outdoor shed. I played golf every other day every trip back then. Golf, dive, golf, dive...you get the picture. The course was dilapidated, but still playable. You could often see me marching down the fairways with clubs over one shoulder, beer cooler over the other dressed in nothing but my bathing suit bottom and golf shoes.

I get to the golf course having just thrown my sticks inside the travel bag into the jeep. There's an old Haitian man sitting on a wall outside the old abandoned clubhouse perhaps looking to carry my bag. I take my clubs out of the travel bag and realized I had a visitor. I turn the travel bag upside down and a six foot Bahamian boa falls out looking more stunned by the abundance of light than I was by his presence. I thought it was the coolest thing! So, I go over to talk to the man, and I ask him if he wants to see the snake that just fell out of my bag. With that he jumps off the wall and goes over to the snake. When he sees its still alive he grabs a rock and with three loud quick blows, bashes its head in. He turns to me and says 'snake bad' and walks away.

Needless to say I topped my first drive.