We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to chicken to fly

ontario
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
to chicken to fly

We will be flying in to Nassau from Toronto or Buffalo, but I am not willing to take a "puddle jumper" to governors harbour. Flying on a commercial jet is enough to give me hives, but I would rather swim than take a charter flight. I was thinking of taking the Bahama Ferry. Any in put would be helpful.

janice

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to chicken to fly

If the Fast Ferrie has a schedule that suits you .. go for it. www.bahamasferries.com

It's convenient and comfortable.

Remember to leave at least 3 hours on your return trip to grab a cab to the airport and get thru Nassau Airport customs and immigration. (cabs are not readily available at the ferry dock, so you may have to call one or drag your bags thru Potters Cay to the roadway.)

You pre-clear in Nassau before heading home, and this takes additional time.

ontario
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: to chicken to fly

thanks for the in-put, and for not calling me a sissy!!!(ha ha) We will be definatley taking the ferry.

Janice

canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: to chicken to fly

HI Janice - I completely understand how you feel. I'm a nervous flyer and I was worried about the trip over from Nassau. After being on two other flights prior to landing in Nassau I was a lot less nervous - it was just more of the same. The views are beautiful and it's well worth the 20 minutes you're in the air. It definitely beats the ferry! And think, you'll conquer your fears! :)

ontario
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: to chicken to fly

caatwoman!

thanks for the kind words. One would think that after flying to the Dominican, Venezuela and Nassau that it would get easier, but I am always a "emotional basket case" every time I am at the airport!! However, the more I spend time on this site the more confident I get.

Janice

canada
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: to chicken to fly

I have travelled extensively and I am still nervous and full of anxiety when I fly.. it's the idea that I'm not in control of my destiny I think.. but you have to take risks in life to experience it to the fullest. You'll be fine and you will absolutely LOVE Eleuthera!

ontario
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: to chicken to fly

caatwoman

Yes control is a wonderful thing!! If only I could fly the darn plane all would be well!!

J

Upper Michigan
Level Contributor
127 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to chicken to fly

Continental used to fly into Governor's Harbour or North Eleuthera, and if they still do, that might be ok for you. Those "puddle jumpers" make even bravehearts a little quesy!

Vancouver,B.C.
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: to chicken to fly

I once booked a flight Miami to Nassua on Bahamasair because they were the only non-prop jet service. All flights were grounded

that day except for an Eagle America prop plane. I was like yourself ,extremely anxious to get on board.

I took an Ativan (for anxiety) and it gave me the courage to get on board. Flight was ridiculously rough but I remained calm. I now no longer have a fear of flying.

...and that was the one and only time I

needed to take a pill to stay calm.

Worked for me!

P.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera