We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

Worcester, MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

Has anyone rented either Brighton Hill in Double Bay or Baycienda, south of Harbor Island? We are 2 families, total of 7 people looking to rent the end of June or early July. Any feedback on these or other rentals will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

I haven't stayed at either one but have always wanted to stay at Brighton Hill. Baycienda seems a little "tired." Brighton is nicer.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

I agree with m3hale. We stay at another place on Double Bay and really love it there. We have seen Brighton Hill and walked past it, but never been inside. Beautiful location. My guess is you'll really like it.

Richard

Texas

Pacific NW
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

Brighton Hill is spacous but if you are going in the June-July time frame you might want to consider a central air-conditioned home. Bright Hill has air-conditioners in the bedrooms but in the main house they have fans and if it is 80 degrees at night and no breeze it can get a little warm. It seems like an older home and sits back off the beach and you don't get the breeze when it is warm. You do have a view of the water but not the beach and you take a path to get to the beach.

NJ
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

Did you wind up staying at Baycienda? We did, and we were very sorry we did recently. The house was old and in awful shape. The doors and screens don't close tightly, so there were an overwhelming amount of bugs in the house. When we got there, the house had not been cleaned for quite some time. We didn't want to eat there at all. We even went and bought some bleach spray to clean the bathrooms. The roof leaked the second day we were there and the owner had to come down and repair it while we were there. We also expected to have a washing machine, but found out it was broken when we got there. I would not recommend this rental to anyone.

asi
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

I agree with Hooper. We stayed at Haycienda for a week last year. I's way out in the middle of nowhere, no restaurants, stores anywhere near. The house was in poor condition, the rental car that came with the house was a joke- muffler was in the back seat and windows were duck taped. The boat was the only ok thing, although it ran out of gas the 1st day and the owner hid it from us another day, due to windy conditions. I could go on as the entire stay was so comical we wrote a story about this trip that we tried to get published. Stay anywhere but here. We spent a good bit of time on Harbor Island and will stay there next time.

south carolina
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

We’ve been there twice in the last five years & we love it. If you’re looking for a resort vacation, Eleuthera may not be the island for you. We revel in the “comical” (as a previous renter put it) situations like the old cars that drive its roads and we enjoy the desolate, beautiful beaches where not another soul is around. You can take the little boat from Baycienda to Harbour Island in about ten minutes if you want to catch up with civilization & enjoy some night life. This house has a lot of character, plus it is spacious enough to hold a large crowd.

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

Yes, I agree Eleuthera is not for everyone....if you tired of the paytolls, and good roads, and brand news cars wellcome to Eleuthera!!

Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

What gives on bashing Baycienda? Go to Pink Sands on Harbor Island and Pay $1,000 a night and hang out with the celebrities if that's what you're after. It will probably be just like L.A.

If you want to totally decompress and hang out on a beautiful peice of land where you can throw a rock at Harbor Island and shoot over there is a Boston Whaler anytime you want - where you can kick back in the hammock on the little beach - go snorkeling for huge starfish with your kids - explore all of the ocean and bay side rocky and sandy shoreline searching for shells, floatsam, land crabs - where you can be fishing for blackfin tuna in over 1,000 feet of water or stalking bonefish on the flats within 10 minutes of leaving the dock - where you can gather in a great big kitchen area with 10+ friends and family and cook fresh caught fish or lobster you bought off the fishermen at gov't dock - then go check out Baycienda.

BAYCIENDA IS THE BAHAMAS and if you disagree, then you should be vacationing in L.A.

asi
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

We did like Eleuthera, just not Baycienda. Yes, there is a Boston Whaler at your disposal, but it ran out of gas within the 1st 15 minutes of use and the owner said "oops". Then, 2 of the days the owner hid the boat from us, saying it was too rough to take out. We did use those days to take the car (and muffler)by the airport to bonefish.

Our hubby's would not allow us to bring food as they needed to use our weight limit for fishing gear, so we had planned on eating out every night, seeing ads for a marina/restarant within walking distance. We found out that had closed in 1999 after a hurricane, even though the airport still had their adds, in 2006. Luckily, I had smuggled a jar of Peanut Butter and some crackers in my suitcase.

There are no restaurants close by, so you have to either travel a good distance by car to eat or go by boat to Harbor Island. We did do some grocery shopping in HI and were able to eat frozen pizza one night. I suggest if you go, bring food.

Our hubby's would love to go back as they thought it was the most comical trip they had been on. The women wouldn't mind going back, just not to Baycienda. We do have great memories; if you want a trip you'll laugh hysterically about for years, this is the place for you. Just make sure you have Bloody Mary's for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We're headed to Guana in the Aboco's this year; very relaxing, golf carts instead of cars and island only 5 miles long.

If you want to read our story we wrote about our trip, email me and I'll send it to you as it's too long to write here.

10. Re: Brighton Hill rental or Baycienda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 pm, September 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera