We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling comparison

Kansas City
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling comparison

We love to travel to islands primarily for fantastic snorkeling...have been to several destinations, but consider great snorkeling to be like St John, BVI, Nassau, Grand Cayman. We love to be able to drive to beaches and snorkel right off the shore with the occasional trip out on a boat. We aren't looking for night life or lots of restaurant selections, but a laid back vacation with snorkeling, beaches, tishing, and a place we feel safe navigating by car on our own. Would you recommend this island to us as we are considering a week at Powell Pointe Resort at Cape Eleuthera in July?? We are trying to decide between Eleuthera and Provo so if anyone can speak to that comparison, awesome!! Thanks!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling comparison

Powell Point might not be re-opened by then. We talked to one of the managers last week when we were there. Every room was ruined from the hurricane. They had not even started to fix it yet. Hopefully others can give you advice on the best places to snorkel.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling comparison

Also, Cape Eleuthera is way out of the way if you want to go to lots of different beaches to sample the snorkeling in several areas. If you stay near Governor's Harbour, you can drive north or south and see several beaches each day. You should get the book Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera. it has GPS readings. We relied on it heavily to find beaches and other attractions.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling comparison

I would agree that it would be better to stay in the Governor's Harbour area. There are plenty of rental properties in that area or North Palmetoo Point. If you are looking for a "resort", there would be Sky Beach or Coca di Mama north of GH.

On the Bahama4U forum I received the following advice on places to snorkel. (Full credit to Lizard Leg).

4th hole beach is a must IMHO - but depends on wind direction as to whether or not it will be really calm. Try to do it at high tide - it can get shallow over the reefs at low tide. When you park by the swing, look out to your left and you'll see some low rocks just above, or just below the surface. Pass up everything else you see on the way and swim straight to the inside edge. Follow the reed out and to the right, criss crossing all the way to the big rock sticking out of the water to the right side of the beach. Never gets any deeper than 8' or so, and you're never more than 150 yards give or take from the beach.

Rainbow Bay Really shallow and easy. Lots of small, colorful fish. Park at the public access spot and just walk down the boat ramp or down the beach and into the water. Another one to do at the peak of high tide.

Twin Sisters Another really shallow and easy one, but very nice. Walk out to the Sisters and just take your time snorkeling around them. Can be done in 10 minutes or an hour - your choice. You can also snorkel the rocks along the edge of the beach heading north. Not a lot of coral but some really interesting fish.

Oleander Gardens is great - shallow water and a protected little cove. When you enter the water head right and snorkel the reef and the cliff edges out and around as you're comfortable with.

If the wind is right and the water is calm and not murky, snorkel Jacks Bay - we didn't get a chance to because the waves had it too murky but we saw at least a half dozen sea turtles and a 3' or so spotted eagle ray just standing on the beach.

Up North is Ben Bay - watch the tides and the winds - we only got the chance to snorkel the left side as seen from the beach (wind and tide) but it was amazing as well.

A little further out from shore - Poponi Beach - you have to head out a little further, about 300 yards or so and the water is a little deeper than most of the other places - but I don't think it ever got over 15'. Lots of coral, passthroughs, etc.

Give Kristel and Donald a call at Eleuthera Tours and they can bring the whole group out for conch diving and snorkeling - we had a great time with them. We wanted some things that were a little more customized to us, and snorkeling between Deals Pt and Bamboo Pt was amazing - but not for everyone. At times we were in 45+ feet of water, but the coral heads were HUGE - sometimes reaching almost to the surface, with fish and sea life everywhere. Lot's of free diving down on that day! Morey eels, angelfish, parrot fish, rock fish, fish I don't even know what to call yet it was a blast.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling comparison

Wow...Doug! I wish I had all that good info before we went. Can you tell me where is Oleander Gardens?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling comparison

And what month were you there? We were thinking we didn't see any turtles because it is late in the year???

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling comparison

bythesea...

The snorkelling tips were from Lizard Leg on the Bahamas4U forum--they were just down in Eleuthera.

Our trip is in March 2012.

I'm not sure where the Oleander Gardens are.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling comparison

Good information there.

Oleander Gardens is a residential community on the Caribbean side as you drive north out of Gregory Town. There is a sign on the highway. Take the road in and turn left at the T-junction, and there is beach access at the end of that road.

I had not heard that Powell Point had serious damage, but I seldom get that far south. It really is a little isolated if you want to see the island.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling comparison

Thanks, I will check out that forum.

Since he was just there, that shatters my thoery about the turtles. He did good!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling comparison

Thanks so much for the responses so far! I will have to admit that I was caught pretty off guard by the first comment about the resort being heavily damaged and possibly not open by July, as I am a RCI timeshare member and they are offering weeks as early as Nov 5th (next month)?? We were planning to stay in these 2 bedroom townhouses in July as they look incredible and we can rent it for only $1000/wk, which is very reasonable for two couple to split especially! However, if the location isn't great for what we are wanting or if the island was that heavily damaged, maybe we should consider Turks & Caicos (Provo) , which was our alternate destination. If anyone could comment on the current damage situation further, great, or whether I can book something really nice and comparable in price in the Governer's Harbor area, that would be so helpful!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling comparison

Snorkelin,

I'll start be saying that I've never been to Provo, but I did research it before when trying to pick a vacation destination.

I don't think you can compare Eleuthera and Provo. Provo is 100 times more developed than Eleuthera--for some people that is good. But that wasn't what we were looking at in a destination.

Eleuthera has enough infrastructure that you aren't in a 3rd world country, but isn't overdeveloped to the point of thinking you are in just another big city.

Check out vrbo.com and you should be able to find 2 bedroom rental properties in GH or NPP for $1500-2000 a week. Might be able to find some cheaper. Figure $300-400 a week for a car rental. Not sure what to tell you to budget for food as that would depend on whether you planned to eat out all the time or cook some of your own meals.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera