We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance on rental cars on Eleuthera Island

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance on rental cars on Eleuthera Island

Does anybody know if any of the private individuals who live on Eleuthera Island and rent out their cars have adequate insurance on their cars and also keep their cars in good mechanical condition and good tires?

I am apprehensive about renting a car from someone on a remote island who I know nothing about.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
306 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance on rental cars on Eleuthera Island

I think that "hutpointe" gave a pretty comprehensive reply on your previous question. I understand your apprehension, but if you are going to rent a car on Eleuthera, you will have to deal with one of the reputable people on that list. I personally have dealt with Stanton Cooper; Winslett Cooper's widow, Sheree; and Lawrence Griffin. All did a fine job. For central Eleuthera, Stanton has the best selection of about 50 cars, Sheree has 4 or 5 cars, and Lawrence has 2.

I have heard good things about each of those people listed. The key thing is to call and explain your needs and concerns. There is no Hertz or Avis, just a person to person transaction. A telephone call will make you feel better.

Have a great trip!

Edited: 8:44 am, August 16, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
2. Re: Insurance on rental cars on Eleuthera Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 11, 2012