We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car on Eleuthera

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car on Eleuthera

Is it safe to rent a car from individuals on Eleuthera Island? I worry that they might not have insurance on their car, or that the insurance they do have is not sufficient.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
new jersey
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

We have rented from Naaman Rolle many times. He is a pleasure to do business with and works at the airport in Gov. Harbor. Very easy! e mail hin at banro2@batelnet.bs. He will get back to you promptly.

Sally

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,965 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

I rented a car for the day in North Eleuthera this past May. I did not even think about the issue of insurance nor did the rental company even mention it. It was not noted on my receipt. To be honest, insurance was the last thing on my mind. I was worried about the car breaking down. I had no cell phone. You can drive miles and miles thru barren wooded pristine areas and not see a soul. I only had the car for the day. It was essential that it not break down as I had to be back to the ferry in Spanish Wells to return to Nassau. Fortunately, the car was reliable. It was about an eight year old American compact with about 80,000 miles. Gas was super expensive. I paid $6.19/gal to refill the tank.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
3. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:06 am, August 10, 2011
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

Proof of insurance has to be provided to get an annual registration renewal for a vehicle. I just renewed two of my vehicles' tags and had to provide an insurance voucher for each of them.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

From what I understood from our previous rental experiences (someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) is that when you rent a car on Eleuthera it automatically comes with insurance which will cover any major damage. Minor scratches, dings, etc. seem to be typically overlooked since most the cars have plenty already. They do not offer additional coverage, etc like a large rental company, nor do they comb over every inch of the car for a scratch or stain like a large rental company. The entire car rental experience on Eleuthera is very casual.

If you are still worried about it and you have Safeco insurance they offer an optimum package that gives you full coverage on any vehicles you drive while traveling internationally.

I would not worry about the cars not being insured as when we where there last spring they actually had a checkpoint where they were stopping every vehicle to check to make sure they were registered/insured.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
A A
Eleuthera
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

I have a list of rental car people on the island...am copying it here for you. I agree that Naamon is a great guy as well. As far as insurance, all cars have to have insurance to get registered in the islands and the insurance goes with the car, so I don't think that you should worry about it. The car rental situation is very casual on the islands, but it does work.

Stanton Cooper (Governors Harbour): 242-359-7007

Stantoncooper_620@hotmail.com

Naaman Rolle 242-359-7166

Tracy Williams 242-554-5892

McClain Pinder 242 557-7966, 242 335-0455

mcclain_pinder@yahoo.com

Arthur Nixon (Governors Harbour) 242-332-2568

Hilton Johnson (James Cistern): 242-335-6241

Tommy Pinder (Governor's Harbour) 242-332-2568, 242-332-6711

Cecil Cooper 242-332-1620

Dwight Pinder 242-332-2223

Winsett Cooper (Palmetto Point) 242-332-1592

Taylor and Taylor (Governors Harbour) 242-332-1665

www.EleutheraCarrentals.com; aaliyahhaughton@hotmail.com

Lawrence Griffin 242-332-2077 / 242-332-2087

Butch Johnson 242-332-2648

Israel Johnson 242-335-6283

Wilfred Major (Rock Sound): 242-334-2156

Cash's 242-335-1096 (Lower Bogue)

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, August 15, 2011
DCA
Level Contributor
227 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

On my first trip, I recall being told that the cost of the car included full insurance. I didn't ask again until my most recent trip, and I was told it was limited insurance - if I caused an accident, the other driver would be covered, but I was still responsible for the damage to the car I was driving.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

To daveaddis,

Do you live on Eeluthera and do you rent out cars?

If you have full coverage on your vehicles and they are in good mechanical condition, including decent tires, I would like to know how to contact you by email. I don't have the capability to call Eeluthera on the phone.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car on Eleuthera

Dave rents a nice beach cottage but he does not rent cars. I have email addresses for some of Hutpointe's list. If you are interested I can send some in a PM.

Rental cars on Eleuthera are mostly older, with more miles, and poorer mechanical condition than you are used to. Many of the locals who rent cars have some newer vehicles if you are willing to pay a little more, so if you are worried about the reliability of your rental then you should ask lots of questions. Everywhere on Eleuthera is within a few miles of the highway and the locals are very friendly, so there is no danger of being stranded without help. You might want to carry a cell phone when you are exploring.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands