We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

Hubby and I arrived on beautiful Eleuthera yesterday afternoon. After getting groceries, etc. we drove on to the lovely house we had rented.

This house comes with it's own platform and loungers right on the Atlantic side of the beach. It is about a 50 yard walk from the house to the platform overlooking the beach. After dinner, we wanted to walk over to the wooden platform, lay on the loungers and look at the bright stars. Ahhh....

We were on the first step up to the raised platform and our flashlight and eyeballs got a good look at about a five foot, brownish spotted snake with a square-ish head. It slithered away.

I left the platform. Snakes, on the whole, do not bother me. I was not expecting there to be a snake on the platform by the Atlantic, but that's cool. And it ran away (under the wooden platform). That's cool too.

Questions: Poisonous snakes on Eleuthera? Indigenous snakes on Eleuthera? Shy snakes or potentially aggressive (like a rattlesnake) snakes on Eleuthera? Need we avoid the beach platform at night?

Not being stupid, but have never seen a snake on any island in the Bahamas.

Edited: 9:46 am, April 23, 2011
Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

There are two species of snakes on the island, neither is venomous. Either will bite if you get too involved, but neither is "poisonous" -- just kind of a mild toxic reax at most. They'll usually run from you.

What you probably saw, based on the size, was a boa constrictor. A lot of Bahamians hate/fear this snake, but they're really great to have around as they eat mice, rats, etc. Unfortunately, they also like to haunt chicken coops, giving rise to their nickname of "chicken snake" or "fowl snake." They don't like people, and unless you mess with one, they won't harm you.

The other, smaller, species is the brown racer. Skinny, brown, quick, but usually no more than 2 feet or so in length. They eat a lot of bugs and such. Fairly common to see these in the yard. I've had to chase a couple of these outta the house over the years. Again, they're harmless.

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

Have seen snakes on every trip, been gone as fast as they could, which was pretty fast! Hi Dave

Here
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

Actually there are more than two snakes on Eleuthera. All are harmless to humans and are non-aggresive even when handled.

Snakes of Eleuthera include:

The Boa Constrictor (only to about 8 feet and very thin), the Pygmy Boa (small and reclusive), the Brown Racer (which carry a small amount of not very potent venom that they administer through their rear fangs), and Worm Snakes (tiny, worm-like snakes which are usually found under logs or in the dirt.)

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

I feel better. Though I had never encountered a snake anywhere in the Bahamas, I figured this was a native and not some escapee from a tourists' sailboat. Great replies, and timely. Thanks very much!

Ontario
Level Contributor
312 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

On one visit to Eleuthera, I saw a huge snake roadkill and a dead rat in front of its head. I'm guessing that when the car ran over the snake, it must have spit up it's breakfast. Quite the sight. I've seen snakes on every trip and although I hate snakes, it's been no big deal. The snakes always slither away quickly (thank goodness)!

Chardon, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

Are there any venemous beings (insects, reptiles, etc) on the island? How about the water? Thanks.

Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

For a semi-tropical location there are not many things to worry about. There are some small scorpions, some poisonous spiders and biting ants. The water is safe to drink although it is a little brackish. There are sharks of course but shark attacks are very rare. Fire coral can be a problem. Your two biggest probably sources of irritation are sand flies and poison wood.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

Wow! Never knew all this! In ten years of frequent trips to the Out Islands, I've seen only one skinny little snake, zero scorpions, zero scary spiders.

Perhaps I'm not very observant...

Here
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

Black Widows (known locally as bottle spiders) are actually quite common here - you just have to know where to look. Scorpions too, but they don't hurt much.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snakes on Eleuthera. Question.

The question -- a legitimate one -- comes from a traveler from Chardon, Ohio.

Having grown up not far from Chardon, Ohio, I can attest that there are *far* more potentially dangerous beasties in that part of Ohio -- including copperheads and cottonmouths -- than there are on Eleuthera. (No black bears here, either!)

So, if ya don't fear the wildlife there, no need to fear it here.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera