We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about the tap water

Tenafly, New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about the tap water

Hi - leaving for our first visit on Thursday & can't wait!! I have a rather silly question -- we're renting a cottage and I know you aren't supposed to drink the tap water. However, can you cook with the tap water if it's boiled (for making pasta or cooking vegetables)? Should we just use bottled? We've not rented a home in the Caribbean before -- just stayed at hotels,hence my ignorance. :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about the tap water

Being from NJ too, I can understand your concern about the quality of the water supply in Eleuthera (E).

I am a retired water quality engineer for the state. I visited Harbour Island on a day trip last month.

While there I picked up a copy of the local free paper called The Eleutheran, www.theeleutheran.com.

There is a story about improvements being made to the water supply. Appparently most of the potable water in E comes from wells with additional water provided by a desalination plant at the Naval Base in central E. I would say that the water is pretty safe considering it comes from wells that are recharged by the sea. When I stay on Paradise Island, where the entire water supply is produced by desalination of the sea, I bring along a Pur water

pitcher filtering system to be extra sure since there can always be contamination in the supply system. Have used this method 5 times now and drink the water on P.I. all the time and knock on wood, never ever got sick. I would NOT waste my $$'s on bottled water since everything is very expensive on E.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about the tap water

The house we stayed in, Oceanaire, had an R/O systerm and the tapwater was as good as or even better than some places I've been in the U.S.

Boston...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about the tap water

Please be advise that the last poster is way off base with this and I really think folks should not post things that are not valid.

First of all the water supply in Harbour island is quite different that on the main land of Eleuthera

If you are staying on the mainland most of the water supply in many areas is strictly from rain caught in cisterns and for those of you who are not familiar with this method it is rain water collected in a area either under or along side of a home.

Most rain water is fine to use if boiled but for consuming it as drinking water that is not recommend.

There is city water on the main part of the island and is recently been backed up with a DE Sal plant at the old navy base but even with that water many do not consume it for drinking water as it has a bad taste.

It is highly recommended that if you are coming to the mainland of Eleuthera that you drink bottled water as it is available all over the island in 1 gallon bottles as well as 5 gallon bottles.

The 5 gallon bottles range from 4 to 5 dollars.

Its not worth taking a chance on getting ill from a bug in the cistern water.

Please don't take the chance on drinking cistern water as purchasing water for direct use is a good insurance policy that you will have a good time and not spend many hours on the toilet bowl.

Some folks drink cistern water with no issues but we don't and many people do not either along with many islanders.

You can use cistern water for cooking , coffee, and ice cubes, just boil the water to be sure as we do it all the time

Have a great trip..

Tenafly, New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about the tap water

Thanks so much!! That's a big help!

M&M

Kansas City
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about the tap water

pinksandlover

I simply stated the facts. The tapwater at Oceanaire caused my family no problems and was as pleasant as any tapwater I have ever consumed. I'm not saying that is the case everywhere on Eleuthera, however, it is the case at Oceanaire. Simple fact.

Boston...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about the tap water

Soccer reff,,,,,,,,, We did not mean your post it was the one before you as you just happened to post just before we did....

I don't know anything about the Reverse Osmosis system installed in the property you stayed at and others on island.

I still would however not take the chance with that but its your choice for direct consuming of water.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about the tap water

I would use bottled for everything if your home does not have a filtration system. I made the mistake of waking up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water... I would have to be dying of thirst to make that mistake again! It was very similar to used, dirty, lukewarm hottub water. Disgusting! Everything else was great though :)

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about the tap water

Our experience is that most rental homes have cisterns for collecting rain water and it supplies the house. Do not drink cistern water. Our solution is to take a small water filter, "Sweetwater" and use it to filter drinking water. We buy 3 big bottles of water and refill each as we use them - no big deal, easy to use and saves lots of money on bottled water. This is the same filter used by backpackers when camping.

Good luck

9. Re: Questions about the tap water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera