We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

running on the island?

bay village, ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
running on the island?

i know this is going to sound like a strange question but is it safe to run on the road in Eleuthera? i am not sure if it is even possible but i was just wondering if anyone has done this or has any thoughts a places to run while staying in Palmetto Point.

my husband says to take the week off and don't run but that is part of my vacation! i see the most interesting things that way.

thanks for your thoughts in advance

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: running on the island?

The roads are uneven and often without a shoulder, and traffic on the Queens Highway can move a quite a clip, so I'm not sure how safe it is. Having said that, the people are certainly no threat, and plenty of people on the island walk (or hitch) the highway for transportation.

From Palmetto Point, once you get on the paved Banks Road, you could enjoy a nice run, but the road is narrow.

Personally, I take the week off and walk the beach for exercise when I'm there.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: running on the island?

nashpam- I think I have a visual image of the Banks Road (where we will be) but is it so totally screwed up (potholes, etc.) to the point one could not run there at all? Just curious.... my husband is the runner, I walk and the beach will do just fine on vacation.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: running on the island?

It has been two years since we visited but I never had problems running the roads. I would run Banks Road rather than Queens however -- less traffic. You can meander around Palmetto Point and get plenty of miles in. Enjoy yourself!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: running on the island?

Banks Road is (or was last March)a runnable road. I understand that the hurricane season was rough on Palmetto Point last fall, putting the lower areas under water, so damage may have occurred.

It is narrow and has some blind turns and no shoulder. But, as stated above, doesn't see much traffic.

Maryland
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: running on the island?

I stay up North between the Glass Window Bridge and Gregory Town and run on Queens Hwy every day when I get the chance to visit. I always run facing the traffic and when I see a car approaching generally I will look back and, if the coast is clear, switch to the other side of the road until the oncoming car passes. I am actually travelling next Tuesday and will be be bringing my new pair of Asic Kinsei gel 2's. Ran 5 miles in them today and it felt like 1.

Mentioned in this post
Glass Window
Glass Window
468 Reviews
Eleuthera
Gregory Town
Gregory Town
Eleuthera
bay village, ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: running on the island?

thank you for you insight! i can't wait to run there! i ran this morning after we had an ice storm 2 days ago and it was so frustrating! i had to get it in before the storm that is coming to day to dump 12 - 15 more inches!

SO READY TO RUN IN WARMTH!!!!!!

thank you! let me know how it goes

7. Re: running on the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera