We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

During our recent two week stay on Eleuthera, we met a couple who swore by the 128 page booklet, "The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera", so we purchased a copy... which I was shocked was $25. Had it been really well done, I might not be writing this review, but...

1. It contains no map to help locate any of the beaches. They do give longitude and latitude coordinates in case you have a GPS with you!

2. Almost every other page is an advertisement (so why are they charging so much for this since they get advertising revenue?!)

3. The book attempts to rates the beaches for swimming, snorkeling, and beachcombing, but way too many of the entries say things like, "We have yet to snorkel at this beach, but we hope to soon." and yet they rate the snorkeling 3 out of 5!

Here is another example... "We didn't have our snorkeling gear with is when we visited this beach..." yet this is rated 4 out of 5!

You get the picture..

4. The design of the book makes it very difficult to read as they overlay cartoons on the text... cute, but poor design.

My suggestion? Skip buying the book and explore many of the unmarked roads... we found they almost always led to an empty beach. Our two favorites by the way were "Ten Bay Beach" on the Caribbean side and "Club Med" (also known as "French Leave" on the Atlantic side. The snorkeling is great at the south end of the beach out toward a little island.

There is also a nice empty beach just north of the Governor's Harbor airport.

Have fun!

New England
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

We love the book and always talk about it in relationship to the Island. It is fun and funky and unique. I do not recommend it if you don't have a GPS. That is the whole point of the book, to give you the coordinates to the roads (really paths) to the beach. Where else can you go for this type of adventure? The "big" beaches are easy to find, but the small hidden jewels are the most fun. For example, there is no way you could find, one of our favorites, The Beach for Two, without the book. We are returning to Eleu in March, having been there last March. The first thing we will pack is our copy of the "Elusive Beaches." The first thing we will do when we get there is search for more special "spots." You spend hundreds of dollars to go on vacation, you can shell out $25 for the book!

NH
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

I like the book, but....

It does have some shortcomings, in my opinion.

I would have liked to have seen it include a comprehensive map with the beaches numbered and plotted on the map for an overall picture.

BTW, if you have an earlier edition, I now know that it is not necessary nor cost effective to purchase the "updated" year's version. The 2001 and the 2007 editions have the same information, with the exception of different advertising!

Richmond, VA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

For our 1st trip to Eleuthera, the book (we got the older version as well) was invaluable and led us to many beautiful beaches. If it's your 1st time, I would say the $25 is well worth it.

US
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

I've done a lot of independent GPS mapping of Eleuthera. I also own the early book and looked at the new book. They have some merit depending on what level of interest in Eleuthera beaches you have.

Having covered a good chunk of the island, I found the better beaches by asking the local people and by searching around Google Earth, albeit Google's map for Eleuthera is out of register so you don't want to absolutely rely on reading GPS coordinates from there. On Eleuthera, it's good to back up any map or instructions with confirmation from the local people on a route you're about to take if it's off the beaten path. Why waste vacation time looking.

There are a number of beaches that aren't mentioned in the book. And the locals sometimes have different names for the beaches. There are also those beaches whose ratings in the book don't seem to comport with what I saw. Mind you, that's subjective, but I think in at least several cases, most of us would agree the rating wasn't quite right.

In the final analysis, it's not so much about having the book or not, by all means buy it if it's appealing to you, but there are the real practicalities of having enough time to go to any number of locations unless the word vacation is synonymous with marathon or you're planning on being there months, not days. And there is a lot of redundancy to the beach scenery; most of which is magnificent.

My advice is to pick a few good beaches you want to see for sure when you go. If you don't see any of the others, you haven't missed that much. Most of the "highly recommended" beaches are knockouts. Mix the trek with seeing a few of the smaller towns along the way and going to that beach that isn't in the book.

And always take plenty of water in case the car breaks down.

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

I think it is a useful book; I agree that the new format is annoying as it can be difficult to read the text over the images; however it helped us find places we probably would not have gone to. My wife would not have been happy driving blindly down some of those roads. The price is high, but I imagine their print run is pretty small and they need to supplement with advertising. If you're going to spend 4 or 5 grand for a week on Eleuthera 25 bucks is peanuts. The authors have published a kml file for google earth to accompany the book which works really well; I took print outs of the beaches I most wanted to visit.

Barry.

Boston
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

Thanks so much clearcase ... I had not known about the Google Earyh kmz file .. That is a HUGE help .. I will be definitely opening the book again ... with Google Earth.

17. Re: The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, September 20, 2009