We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

AZ USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

I was very lucky to join family and friends on a trip to Eleuthera at the end of the year. While the island is terrific, the beaches gorgeous, and the people so very nice, our rental house was another story altogether. The location of the home was listed on the website, www.bahamianvilla.com, as beach front – while it is in fact not. I was surprise to see another house between and the Villa and access to the ocean. All of the pictures on the owner’s site make it seem like it’s really on the beach. Now, walking across the road and down onto the sand is not the end of the world by any stretch, but the obstructed views from the villa were not so pretty. The homes next door are in fact so close that from the master bath you can look onto their front deck. The views of the lake were great, but it was impossible to access the lake. Getting to the villa is only done via a seriously bad road that is really uncomfortable to dive in and out on each day as most guests will end up doing. Ok, I know the owner does not control filling in the pot holes and such, but be warned, it’s much worse vs. what’s noted. Buckle your seatbelt, strap down the bags and hold onto the kids and find out yourselves. The bedrooms are big as advertised but triple check the amenities section of the website, while it may have been true in 2006 when the place was built; it’s not totally accurate today. Yes the kitchen is big, but it is not well equipped with normal stuff like silverware and or pots and pans. The dining room table seats 6 to 8 people but it would be a real stretch to find enough tabletop items to allow each person to have their very own fork. The appliances look pretty and work fine. But as there are not a lot of great places to eat on the island, cooking meals is virtually required. However, the pictures do in fact show the Tommy Bahama inspired interior of the home accurately. The fans and the AC work great throughout the house. The bathrooms were nice, but one of the showers only worked off and on. While the amenities section does say that all linens are provided, I wish I had brought my own sheets!(HINT) Be prepared for the fact that the kitchen and bathrooms will not be “stocked” with basic things like TP, soap and or paper towels – regardless of what the website says. Just read some of the other posts. It is not a fortune to buy it all on the island but it is a pain in the but to go out the bumpy road and forget to get dishwasher soap….so if you are packing for a trip, toss that extra stuff in you bag. The beach across the road was nice for walking but not so good for swimming unless you are a master – Club Med beach was my favorite on the island – a total postcard beach. I really loved the farm stand near the house off the main highway, great bread and veggies, great people. Loved the fish fry and Stubbs BBQ – all the local people we talked to were so very nice and warm – that was a highlight. All in all it was not a bad trip, but just not as advertised and I would never rent from this owner again – frankly there are just too many other choices of homes on the Island if I was to return.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

That is pretty scary considering I have rented the adjacent property from the same owner for a week in April of this year. Did you call the housekeeper about the problems you experienced, and , if so, how did she respond? Did you contact the owner upon your return and , if so, how did he respond? The road I am well aware of from reading the local forum- I don't think the owner of the house has much control over that. Also, I understood from reading the website and travel posts that Bahamian Villa was NOT waterfront so I am kind of wondering why the renters were surprised about that?

I am very curious if you have rented other properties in the Bahamas- particularly the out islands? I really appreciate your response. I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I have only had good experiences in the out islands.

AZ USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

Don’t be scared. The island is a really great place. There is a lot of good to be found. The sum of the parts for our trip was in the end good – the stuff with the house – was just a pain in the but when we would rather have been beaching it without a worry. I would not cancel based on my experience. Just go into your trip knowing all the facts. Manage your expectations and yours of the owner in advance so you don’t worry. There are other posts on trip advisor as well that you can look and read that will give you a glimpse into how the owner behaves. The caretaker is a call away, as long as your mobile phone works as there are no phones. For the road, I would rent a 4 wheel drive – or a car that is not super low to the ground. I have been to other islands – each is different. Eleuthera was the most laid back but it’s also very large and you can drive a lot. Have a great trip.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

I am not planning on cancelling based on your one complaint but it is the first real complaint I have seen- which others are you referring to? I have watched this and other forums for several months with little negative reports so please clarify your comment if you don't mind.

AZ USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

Just look in the forum for other Bahamian Villa posts. They are clear enough for you to find.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

Did that already then did it again just now- the only two negative things I saw were things I saw previously- one person who did not do their homework about the location of the (BV) house and another person who was not happy about the security deposit check being cashed. That is about it on the search so you must be remembering something that no longer shows up on a search. I am renting RB, not BV, and the previous renters of RB I have corresponded with only said positive things. If you know of other posts listed differently please enlighten me. Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

If when you are in the Eleuthera Forum, do a search for "villa mixed review" to see the other posting.

palm coast, fl
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

Our family stayed at Bahamian Villa and had non of the problems you've reported.In fact we kayaked the lake behind the home several times.You just have to walk the ten feet through the woods, or enter down the dirt road to your' right, approximatly 100 yards north of the house. If you can't, or won't do those things the Island may not be for you.For those of you that have not visited Eleuthera,it is not Miami Beach. The Island, and all it's roads are rugged and for the most part deserted.There are no high rise condos or apartments.It's exactly the kind of place our family thought we would never find in this over built,hectic world we live in. We love the Island just the way it is.I do find it troubling; that do to the owners ignorance regarding how many pieces of toilet paper you use in a week, you were forced to brave the roads of Eleuthera. Although, I'm somewhat befuddled that after taking on such a dangerous and time consuming task, YOU would forget to buy the very items [ie dish soap] that drove you to write this obnoxious,self obsessed rant in the first place. Please stop blaming the world for every microcosm of your' life that's not utterly perfect.Take just a little bit of responsibility for your' own actions and stop blaming others.I promise you, you'll feel better.

Indiana
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

Skindiver, just curious, do you have a financial interest in this property?

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Bahamian Villa - North Palmentto Point -

We rented a bungalow in N. Palmetto last week and although the house was "ok", we found the location in general not that great. Most houses around there are old judging by the surrounding.

The road was horrible. The beach was far from perfect. I do agree with ascavecreek.

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera