We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andros or Eleuthera?

usa
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Andros or Eleuthera?

have been thinking about Eleutera alot but was just wondering if anyone has a prefernce? and what is differant about the two islands? thanks for any info

boston
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

Hello. I haven't been to Eleuthera yet, our first visit will be this coming May. But my husband and I have been to Andros and we stayed at Tiamo Resort. One of the most memorable travel experiences. While we stayed on property the entire visit we took snorkeling trips everyday. At the time we didn't know how lucky we were to experience such amazing snorkeling...if it is a love of yours I'd highly suggest Andros. I'll have to let you know how Eleuthera is:)

Mentioned in this post
Andros
Andros
Out Islands
St.Pete,FL
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

If you want to see Andros before tourism arrived then go to Eleuthera. If you want any kind of resort vacation then Andros is for you. There isn't much on Eleuthera, other than the natural beauty of the island unless you stay at Harbor Island.

Mentioned in this post
Andros
Andros
Out Islands
St Petersburg...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

Some of the best snorkeling I have ever had has been on the Atlantic side of Eleuthera near North palmetto Point.

If you are staying at one of those homes up on the banks Road on the Atlantic side you are in for a real treat.

The reefs are close to shore and they are great.

Never been to Andros as I have found the perfect place on Eleuthera and have been many times no need to travel to Andros and peace and quit is my bag and Eleuthera has that plus great beaches.

Have fun..

Mentioned in this post
Andros
Andros
Out Islands
Mississippi
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

I'm just wondering which houses you are referring to? We are considering going to Eleuthera in the late spring and I'm all about being able to walk out into the water with my mask and snorkel and spend hours exploring. Can you supply the names and/or sites for some of the houses you mentioned? Thanks!

boston
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

I'd love to know more details about that fantastic snorkeling spot as well. I won't be staying near there but will be renting a car and exploring. Any landmarks to help find our way?

St.Pete,FL
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

Check out www.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com. Has a lot of info.

The best snorkeling is on the Atlantic at N Palmetto point. You can walk right from your door to the reef and it is close to Govenors Harbor which is the best location for shopping.

There is no tourism on Eleuthera, it is very quiet and there is no nightlife to speak of except at Harbor Island. The interior of the island is rock and scrub brush but the shoreline and waters are Amazing. The "Caribbean" side is mostly cliffs, large dunes border the "Atlantic" side.

The lady that runs the Surfers Manor motel at Surfers Beach described Eleuthera as "a small town in Kansas". I would say a very,very small town in Kansas. Food is expensive by American standards and shopping is sparse at best. The towns are more like villages and are very poor and 3rd worldish so be prepared.

You must rent a car and most roads to the best spots seem impassable. Your only entertainment will be the ocean and the locals. The people are very friendly for the most part, just ask them for directions.

Our first trip was a little rough but we can't wait to return, if you choose to go it will be an adventure you won't soon forget.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Kansas
Kansas
United States
adyingpoet
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

Be careful when following some of the advice posted here. We stayed in Palmetto Point and the Atlantic was so rough we could hardly snorkel at all. Snorkeling is only as good as the conditions allow. You might rent a house in Palmetto Point and not be able to snorkel at all because of the waves. The Caribbean side is TYPICALLY very calm and the water clarity is extraordinary. Like they say, if the water is choppy on one side of the island, snorkel on the other side.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

The Bahamas are not in the Caribbean thus the entire island is in the Atlantic. The east coast is the roughest.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
adyingpoet
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

When we were there the locals called the East side the Caribbean side, so i'll just take your word for it that it's all Atlantic

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
10. Re: Andros or Eleuthera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 14, 2009