We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying wine on Eleuthera?

charlotte,nc
11 posts
Save Topic
Buying wine on Eleuthera?

We will be going in May and trying to decide what to take. I know we are allowed 1 bottle of wine per person and can pay duty on any additional. But...we don't want to travel with a lot of bottles. Are there any specific places to buy wine (by the bottle) that one could reccomend? From what I have read liquor is cheap, wine is pricier than in the states and beer is really expensive (lucky for us we are wine & liquor drinkers, not beer). Anyway, I appreciate any input on this as well as any other sugestions on things that we should bring!

Looking forward to our first trip to the island!

Oh, we are staying close to Govenors Harbour (Hut Point Beach).

Thanks! =)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying wine on Eleuthera?

My wife and I took our first trip to Eleuthera in March. I am in the wine business which by nature makes me a bit of a wine snob. The only wines I saw at retail shops were jug wines and the like. Given the heat, I don't think retailers stock much in the way of fine wines. Some of the restaurants had great wine lists, especially Tippy's. I would stick with liquor drinks or bring a few bottles of wine with you. If you make it to Tippy's, treat yourself to a bottle of Tres Picos Garnacha if it is still on the list.

As far as other stuff to bring, I would suggest suntan lotion and cash. You may want to bring some frozen items with you if you are planning to do a lot of cooking on your own. We ate almost all of our meals out and found some great food. Don't be scared if the restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside. Most of the meals are home cooked and made to order.

Have a great trip!

sc
Level Contributor
740 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying wine on Eleuthera?

We bought some nice wine (and it was cheaper than here in Nassau!) at the little plaza on Rock Sound's outskirts right by the grocery store.

The season is over now so they wont have as much but we got some fairly nice bottles My fav is Santa Margharta (sp) so as you see I'm no wine buff.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
632 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying wine on Eleuthera?

Enjoy your wine! Try at least a six-pack of Kalik (say it like you're saying "click") beer. The high test variety, too. Kalik Gold? Kalik Extra? Kalik Premium? Something like that. Wow! That was good stuff!

Temple Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying wine on Eleuthera?

How do you folks get caught up in these rentals like Hut Point ( away from on any beach or even close) and Pineapple Fields ( a resort that sits way back from the ocean and in my opinion is a waste of money)

Rent a private house in Cental Eleuther ( Palmetto Point area) and spend a few extra $ as you get what you pay for.

Wine c an be had at the new Liquor store in Governors Harbour ( Cupids Key) and the poster mentioned a wine "Santa Margharta'

well you can buy that at the Bristol liquor store in cupids key( Governors harbour) for 18.65 a bottle

Hope this helps

Don't bring wine as you can get all you need in GH

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying wine on Eleuthera?

I'll fess up to being a wine snob, so my wife and I brought in a good bottle of champagne (for that first night's toast) and a nice cab for the beautiful steaks we brought with us. Other than that, we were scavenging for good wines -- you won't find much. There are wines available at some of the beer/liquor stores, but there isn't much of a choice.

Hey, it's a small island where EVERYTHING is imported. Go with the flow, try some of the oddball wines you may find, cool off with a Kalik, or my choice - a nice strong rum and coke.

That's the best thing about this island....easy living.

6. Re: Buying wine on Eleuthera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera