We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eleuthera in July with a toddler

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eleuthera in July with a toddler

Hello!

We are going to Eleuthera in early July for two weeks with a 16 month old. Does anyone have advice or suggestions for dealing with the heat, weather, bugs, food, activities, medical preparedness- etc. Particularly with regard to a toddler.

Thanks!

flagler county fl
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

Yes - Bring plenty of sun block , at night scorpians do crawl on decks and into homes. Be safe , not sorry shake out your' toddlers bed sheets each and every time she /he gets into bed. The food is fine , it is not like eating in South America where you have to be very careful.I think you do need to buy bottled water , but check on that one.Other than some common sense precausions , you and your' child should have a great time

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

We are taking our elementary age kids, also in early July, for the first time. So my answers are not from experience, but what I have gleaned from reading msg boards and talking via email with others who have been there.

Do not assume that any food items vital to your toddler will be available there - so plan to bring them. For instance, when my youngest was a toddler, our emergency backup foods were Polly-O (had to be Polly-O!) string cheese, Triscuits, and orange flavored prunes - these were the food that she'd always eat if there was nothing else she liked where we were. You might have your own list.... bring that stuff!

This is not Eleuthera-specific, but do make sure you have plenty of sunblock - 2 weeks is a good long while, and in order to be able to enjoy the whole time you will want to be extremely vigilant. I bought a Eureka sunshade to guarantee a shaded place at the beach, and Lands' End has a great selection of SPF 50 rash guards (shirts meant to get wet, for surfing and swimming) and swim shorts and other gear to help protect little ones' skin. They go from baby sizes on up. Check out landsend.com.

I suggest you comb through this board as well as The Eleuthera Message Board (http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/693744326/) for answers to other questions - I found out a lot of good info for myself this way.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

SCORPIONS???!!!!

Is this a seasonal thing? We go in March and I've never seen or heard of this as an issue!

As to the toddler thing, definately bring the "special food" for both the kids and adults. Check out this forum, for info on bringing frozen meat in.

Bring basic band-aids and stuff, there is a doctor on Governor's Harbour (Dr. Bacchus). Bug spray, sunblock, the usual. Diapers migh take up a ton of space for a 2 week supply, but you probably won't have a wide variety of choices/sizes there.

Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

2 weeks is a long time for a toddler ~ meaning you can train him/her to play indoors, and nap, during the 3+ hottest hours of the day. That's actually good advice for adults too :) These hours in the cool (A/C) will do wonders for preserving physical energy and keeping the temper even. The days are long, so "bedtime" can be postponed until much later. True, it will be a little tricky when you get back home ~ might take a week to get back into routine, but will make for a much more relaxed holiday for baby and parents, and I have always found that adaptation to the environment benefits everybody.

We traveled with our children from about the age of 1 and our pediatrician suggested that we accustom the kids to carnation milk (mixed with bottled water) since it is the same, the world over. This greatly reduced my anxiety of tummy upsets and availability. Sure they balked for a day or two, but soon got the hang of it with no problem.

Please keep your baby in a T-shirt when in the sun, at all times,(including when swimming) and don't forget to put sun-block on the top of the feet ~ these areas burn so easily. The baby needs a sunhat (I don't at all mean to preach, but it's so easy to forget, particularly when you're bobbing in the water).

Bring the same First Aid, or any medical stuff you keep in the home, and ask your doctor about antihistamines for minor bites etc. I have seen a total of 2 (two) scorpions in the islands in 25 yrs+. One, was mummified, and the other was (obviously) asleep on a bathroom floor. Sure, it's a good idea to check for them if you like, but personally I'm more concerned about the odd wasp who's lost his way and hovers around the lunch table.

Familiar fav huggy toys are a must, but bring a couple of new ones, and new books, producing them, one by one, while there. Your 16 month-old baby (lovely age!) will be delighted to be introduced to new characters and ideas. I think you'll all have a great time!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

Thanks everyone for the advice and expertise - we are really looking forward to this trip!

All the best!

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

Just an addendum to Soames - whose advice re: creating a schedule and milk was great, I thought... however, a regular white T-shirt provides only the equivalent of 7 UPF and *if it is WET ONLY 3 UPF*. See www.skincancer.org/content/view/109/13/

If you want a sun-protective shirt or suit, a little rashguard-type shirt that specifically is for UPF protection is best... The seller will give its UPF rating - good ones give 40-50 UPF. I recommended checking Lands' End in a prev post, but found that in my kids' sizes they are completely sold out for the season (!). Alexandme.com has a good selection for babies thru adults, and LL Bean has some (they call them wave shirts) but I am not sure if they have baby/toddler sizes. Also, Rit makes a laundry additive (wouldn't have believed it would work if I hadn't seen it on skincancer.org) called Sun Guard that increases UPF protection of regular clothes. Skincancer.org also has lists of recommended products including clothing, and lots of good info about protecting yourself and your family so you can enjoy your time at the beach....

Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

hankdog ~ I of course meant T-shirts "in addition" to sunscreens :).

Last year the ministry of health in France had a huge drive for toddlers and childrens' protection and thousands of them, on the various beaches, wore T-shirts with the logo "not without my t-shirt"!

(pas sans mon t-shirt!)

L'Oreal has been selling an excellent lotion which includes "Ombrelle" (mexoryl) ~ this was FINALLY approved by the FDA, in July of last year and now available in the US.

It was very interesting to read that clothing can differ so much in what it lets through!

I know that parents take a lot of precaution with their children on the "beaches" here, but you would be surprised by the irresponsibilty of cruisers, in town for the day, who's toodlers in strollers get burned to a crisp, particularly the feet which often are outside of the parasol shade. I've seen it too many times and those poor babies wailing, are misunderstood as just being fussy.

St.Pete,FL
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

Think about purchasing a beach cabana/shade. They are lightweight and can easily fit in a suitcase, about 5#. Try campmor.com or REI.

Just do a search for "beach shade". We used one all the time when are kids were cute!!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

You've probably by now had all your questions answered but I just stumbled on your post today.

We traveled to Eleuthera at the end of May 06 with our 2 children. Granted they're older (currently 8 & 11) but it was our first trip out of the states with them so a mom will worry. We had no problems and are returning this June.

As far as food, we took a large duffle with dry goods and I carried on a cooler shoulder bag type thing with some frozen meats. We found that the grocery stores were well stocked but like the other post mentioned, it's a good idea to take any favorites. We stayed near Governor's Harbour which had a good grocery store. Rock Sound has an even better grocery store with just about everything. The prices are reasonable but most "American" items (Pepsi, Doritos and other junk) are more pricey compared to home. We did buy drinking water (not sure if we had to be concerned but did anyway). There's a beverage store (not liquor store) in Palmetto Point that we purchased water and other soft drinks from.

I would agree with the other post about getting a beach umbrella/canopy. We didn't have one but it sure would have made it more comfortable during the heat of the day. As the others mentioned, sunscreen & bugspray will be your best friends. Just to add to the array of suggestions, Aveeno Continuous Protection 45 spf was great as well as OFF! Active insect repellent. In addition, this trip I'll be picking up the old standby, Avon's Skin So Soft which was recommended by another Bahamas traveler. Did not see any scorpions.

We took some inexpensive inflatables and beach toys. Anything like that would be a little harder to find and expensive. We're thinking about taking a kite this time. The beaches are great for kids but you may want to take water shoes.

I could go on but as others have said it's a wonderful, relaxing place. I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you have any specific questions I'll be more than happy to answer.

Happy travels!

Arizona
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Eleuthera in July with a toddler

This sounds like a great trip! Highly recommend sun protection clothing, at least for your toddler. The Australian Radiation Protection Society has a list of approved sun protection companies that they recommend on their resource guide...worth checking it out.

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvrg/alpha.htm

Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera