We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Private Property and Beaches

Matawan, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Private Property and Beaches

My wife and I will be traveling to cat island in April. We will be renting a car and planning to travel the island to find interesting beaches and spots in nature. We are from New Jersey and are curious as to what are laws regarding private property in cat island, bahamas? Also, what are the local accepted practice by the citizens/residents of cat island?

For example, are beaches public or private property? Are there no trespassing signs and/or laws? Are we good to drive on any road that is not gated/posted? We want to respect local laws and traditions while maximizing our exploration! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Virginia
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Private Property and Beaches

We will be on Cat in May and plan on traveling around to check out the beaches. From what we've experienced in Eleuthera, assuming its the same on Cat, is that you can go down any road you find and walk any beach. Pretty sure the beaches are public but I'm sure a lot of the land is private that you travel through to get to them. But I'm with you, if there is not a sign and not something blocking the way, I'm guessing it' common to use the roads and accepted.

Where are you staying on cat?

Doug

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
355 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Private Property and Beaches

I think your assessment is correct. Any road or beach that is not posted private or no trespassing is fair game.

One exception is resort beaches. While the beach is public to the high water mark, I always make a point of checking in with the office and asking if it's alright to explore their beach. And this is always accompanied with buying lunch or a drink or two. (I've heard reports of non-guest visitors being treated rudely at resort beaches, but I'd be willing to bet that those visitors didn't exercise any courtesies.)

Matawan, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Private Property and Beaches

Thanks for the information. We want to stay respectful to local customs and citizens while on our trip! I can't wait to get out of New Jersey for some relaxation!

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Private Property and Beaches

My husband and I and another couple just returned from Cat last Saturday. Beaches are very accessible to all. We rented a private beach front cabin but also explored other beaches near by - we were the only people there! We had lunch at Hawks nest marina on the south end of the island not far from where we were staying. There was no problem checking out their beach, the same with Greenwood, also on the south end of the island. We only had 7 nights so we did not get to the north end of the island. We snorkeled every day, kayaked, fished and had a wonderful relaxing time. Remember to take your snorkeling gear when you go exploring. All local people whom we had an opportunity to interact with were kind and helpful. Try to eat as much local food as possible! The conch chowder is fantastic! They also sell a coconut tart that is tasty, basically everything is good. Hope that you have a wonderful time.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Private Property and Beaches

we will also be on cat island may 13 to 22, this is our first trip there and can't wait to board the plane...lol...we will stay at pigeon Cay......have fun on your trip.....

Patrick, South...
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Private Property and Beaches

Tana50, where in your opinion was the most interesting snorkeling. If you could give a short discription of the areas you snorkeled at that would be great! Thanks

7. Re: Question about Private Property and Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island