We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a car for Shangri-La on Cat?

Austin, TX
2 posts
Save Topic
Need a car for Shangri-La on Cat?

Hi,

I'm staying at Shangri-La on Cat Island next week. We're debating the car. I've been to Cat before, but can recall how far it was from Bennett's Harbour to other things. We're good walkers, so if there is a restaurant or two within a couple miles (each way), we're fine without a car. I'm also thinking there are bikes there, so I can make the ride into town for supplies. We did the sights last time and want really just to park ourselves on the beach and relax for a few days - so if I get a car, I'll barely use it.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Many Thanks!

Westfield...
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a car for Shangri-La on Cat?

We stayed at Shangri-la for 6 years in a row for a 2 week stay each time. They have a car you can rent which was always reliable. Trevor the caretaker took care of the car. We went "everywhere" with the car no matter how bad the roads were. It wasn't a car really, it was a SUV.(Chevy Blazer). You'll definetly need a vehicle to explore the island,get groceries and Kalik and rum. Any other questions I'd be glad to answer.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a car for Shangri-La on Cat?

I would rent a car. You are near Sammy T's but not really near anything else.

Gasport, New York
Level Contributor
146 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a car for Shangri-La on Cat?

You might consider renting a car for just a day or two. Figure about $80/day, plus gas. Or ask your taxi driver from the airport for his/her phone number. When you want to go out for supplies, call the taxi.

Austin, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a car for Shangri-La on Cat?

Thanks much for the feedback. Have an option of getting the car after I get there, so we can see how motivated we're feeling. Folks who own Shangri-La are delightful!

5. Re: Need a car for Shangri-La on Cat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island