We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea star cottage --cat island

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
sea star cottage --cat island

Anyone stayed at Sea star cottage on Cat Island? Looks fabulous and owners are sweethearts. Am excited to be going but wondered if anyone out there had any stayed there and had any suggestions, re: beaches, kayaking, restaurants, etc. --or whether we should bring anything.

J

Gasport, New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

Beaches on Cat Island are fabulous, the only footprints you see are your own, just like they say.

Some of the resorts have kayaks.

Restaurants are good. Be sure to call early in the day to make dinner reservations, that's the custom in the Bahamas and the Caribbean. You don't need reservations for lunch.

Bring cash and traveller's checks. Most locals don't take credit cards, but the resorts usually will. Ask to be sure. Also, there are NO banks or ATM's on Cat Island, although the Bank of the Bahamas is gonna open a branch there soon. If you smoke, bring your cigs, they're expensive in the Bahamas. Sunscreen. Maybe bug repellent. A good attitude and a smile.

Have fun!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

Thanks, Mike. Am sure I will!!!

Pensacola, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

I stayed at Sea Star Cottage years ago. The cottage was very clean and comfortable. Bring a cooler with your favorite food as the stores are far and carry limited items. Sammy T's restaurant, about 2 miles north, has great bahamian food. The beach is absolutely stunning, but there is a large commercial area at the south end. This area was very dirty and fish waste will float in front of the house when the local fishermen clean their catch. It was sad to see rusting bulldozers and cranes on the shores of such a beautiful beach. I would consider a different location when I return to Cat Island.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, it's been cleaned up since then. --am going in a couple of days and will email after I get back to let you know.

Gasport, New York
Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

I'm heading to Cat in 2 weeks. Be sure to post and let us know how you liked Sea Star. Have fun!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

Mr. Bob, Cat Island was FABULOUS! But I have a question: What causes these bites which itch but don't look like mosquito bites and don't seem to show up (and itch) until the following morning?

If you have any ideas, please let me know. --And enjoy your trip to the island, it will be great.

Indiana
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

Maybe no see-ums?? Sometimes you feel them biting, and sometimes they just itch like crazy later. For an old wives' tale cure: liberally dab on apple cider vinegar! You smell like a salad, but it really does take the itch away!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

Thanks a bundle! Will try the vinegar thing this afternoon; hope it works.

--In any case, it was worth the no-seeums; cat island is really the best.

Bennetts Harbor
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

All of the construction is done. The only thing that's left is a wonderfull government dock. The fishermen in Bennett's Harbor have been cooperating with the local property owners and are cleaning their catch before they return.I have been going for the past 5 years and never seen fish waste or any waste on or near the beach. Boy, I'm glad because it's a beautiful beach.Can't wait to get there!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: sea star cottage --cat island

I have a question about privacy at Sea Star Cottage. Is it secluded? Is the house visible from the road? And can you see other houses from the property?

Thanks in advance!

Get answers to your questions about Cat Island