We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime any issue?

Chester, Connecticut
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Crime any issue?

I'm looking into booking a stay at a private cottage ("Pleasant Dreams" on Pleasant Harbor, Northern side of the island - if you know it, any feedback would e much appreciated) in April. My sister gave me the "don't go anywhere outside a resort, you'll get robbed" routine, but I don't see anything like that in the reviews I've read. Are we likely to get robbed cycling to the local market for food? Do we need to excercise a certain amount of paranoia, or are we OK with simple courtesy?

Family vacation, WAY low-key, simple swimming, snorkeling, hiking etc. is all we desire.

Great Exuma
Level Contributor
278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime any issue?

ssnamurray, please relax and enjoy your vacation. Crime here on Andros is almost non-existent. Many nights we forget to lock up our house and we never close our windows unless we are leaving the island for a few days and we live in the main settlement of Nicholl's Town

We welcome tourists from all over the world and I am sure you will have a great time. Pleasant Dreams is in a rather remote area away from any of the settlements. You will be about 3 miles from the closest shop but the beach is beautiful.

Contact me if you need any other information about North Andros. I have lived here for the past 20 years and would never think of leaving.

oregon
Level Contributor
109 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime any issue?

My wife and I just returned from a most wonderful stay at Pleasant Dreams on Evans Harbor. Not only is it completely safe; the house and its location is ideal. It is about a half-mile down a rutted road from the main "highway" and has very few neighbors. The owners of the house, Steve and Lyn request you lock up if you are leaving for the day, but I cannot imagine why. The Androsians in general are very polite, honest Christian people, but there are a few "mischief makers". Paranoia does not go here...friendship and simple courtesy always does. I would highly recommend this "cottage" to anyone who wants to get away and enjoy the simpler way of life. It is well equipped, very comfortable and has the nicest house caretaker (Hank Williams) I have ever met. We flew to North Andros by private flight (Hank Pratt) but flew back on Western Air. Taxi to the house from the airport was $25 - ask for Bert. Bicycles, as well as kayaks and other water toys, come with the house. Nichols Town has store, bank and gas station, Lowe's Sound has liquor store. Every-thing cost about twice what it does in the states, and no one takes credit cards so bring cash. There is a car at the house you can rent for I think $70/day. If you bicycle, ride to Uncle Charley's Blue Hole for a swim. Go... enthusiastically!!!

Grosse Pointe
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime any issue?

I've stayed at Pleasant Dreams several times and the house is lovely. It is remote which is what appeals to us. Steve and Lin are great people to deal with and Hank the caretaker is a gem. You won't be disappointed if you stay there unless you are looking for late night bars and "adventure" tours. It's a "make your own fun" type of vacation. An ABSOLUTE MUST is to go snorkeling out on the reefs. Book a snorkeling trip with Rodney. The reefs off the island you can see from shore are absolutely spectacular. They are very well protected by offshore barrier reefs and therefore suffer little damage in the way of storm surge that the coral like is unlike any I've seen in the Bahamas.

I have found that when talking to people about the Bahamas, many are unaware that the Bahamas is more than Nassau/Paradise Island or Freeport. I've even been asked more than once "what bridge would I take to get there?" (when we've been discussing Andros or Eleuthera).

Don't worry about being robbed. You have been mis-informed by your sister if she was referring to Andros...chances are she was talking more of the mega resort islands listed above.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Andros
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime any issue?

I have only heard about the Pleasant Dreams and it sounds very nice. I have lived in South Andros as the owner of the Andros Beach Club for 4 years. You have nothing to worry about as a tourist visiting this island. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Mentioned in this post
Andros Beach Club
Andros Beach Club
206 Reviews
Andros
5. Re: Crime any issue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Andros