We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south andros or mangrove cay-too isolated for a solo trav?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
south andros or mangrove cay-too isolated for a solo trav?

i'm travelling alone to andros for a few days. i want some good, relaxing beach time and snorkeling/exploring. south andros and mangrove cay both sound great, but i can't tell if there's much there besides the hotels i'm looking at (nathan's lodge and seascape inn). are there places to walk around, explore, meet people? other restaurants/bars? i'm not looking for anything touristy. anyone have experience in either of these places?

thanks!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south andros or mangrove cay-too isolated for a solo trav?

We have been to North Andros twice and enjoyed both trips - one time to a spot near Nichol's Town and the other to Small Hope Bay. From the reading I've done, I think that S. Andros is even more sparsely populated than the north part, which means really quiet. Small Hope Bay was small enough to enjoy the peace and quiet but always with people around for conversation or help if you needed it. If you like snorkeling, the reef off Andros is really magnificent.

Timmins, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: south andros or mangrove cay-too isolated for a solo trav?

South Andros is great. I have been there twice and never found it to be boring. If you are looking for the true Bahamas experience (the way it used to be in the 1950's-70's) go to South Andros. It will not disappoint. Many little restaurants and friendly people everywhere. Cars to rent. Good luck!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south andros or mangrove cay-too isolated for a solo trav?

We stayed at Seascape on Mangrove - Andros last year. Had a wonderful time, but it was a bit too quiet for us. We don't like touristy, but we do enjoy meeting people (both locals & other travelers) & we like to go out to eat/drink at different places throughout the trip. Seascape arranged for us to have lunch at a small spot near the marina one day - she opened just for us & we enjoyed biking there. We biked to the conch stand one afternoon & met 2 people there. We went next door to the fishing lodge for drinks one night & enjoyed some conversation there. But other than that, it's pretty desolate & most of who we met was there purely for intense fly fishing. The food was fine (breakfast sweetbreads more than fine!) at Seascape, but it got a bit monotonous. The weather was cool when we were there so there wasn't much swimming. We waded & found amazing sand dollars & my husband spent some time fly fishing in the flat out front. Kayaks are defunct so that wasn't an option. We hired a guide & my husband had an amazing fishing day & I enjoyed the scenery & watching the fishing excitement. We went to Cat Island afterwards & that was probably a better fit for us. We're going back to Out Islands this year - back to Cat & we'll try Eleuthera as well. Hope that helps. Let me know if other questions I can answer.

4. Re: south andros or mangrove cay-too isolated for a solo trav?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, February 10, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations