We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andros snorkeling

Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Andros snorkeling

We are close to booking an April trip to Andros. We are also looking at Exuma and Eluthera, and we have a wonderful week on Cat Island in our recent past.

On cat, we were able to snorkel right off the beach where we stayed. Is this possible on Andros? I think we would hire a guide for one off shore excursion, but would like to do some less structured snorkeling right off the beach.

j

SC
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andros snorkeling

Hi- Where on Cat did you stay? Curious bc. we are planning a trip there soon. We were in Andros last March. The snorkeling was completely amazing, the best i've seen in the Bahamas, but a bit far off the beach to swim. We went out in a kyack and it was no problem. The water was chilly though. I guess we were on the Atlantic side. Hope this helps!

Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andros snorkeling

We rented the Seabreeze house in Bennet's Harbor. Next door is another rental called Shangi La. Both are on the same beach as a small resort called Sammy T's.

Seabreeze was fantastic! I have posted about it elsewhere so I am sure you could search and find my detailed post. Highly recommended!

On Andros, how did you know where to go to snorkel?

j

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Andros snorkeling

The snorkeling and diving off Andros Island really is amazing and special to the Bahamas. It is possible to do some snorkeling off Andros beaches like in Eleuthera and Cat but not available in Great Exuma. . . I'd start by talking with the locals near where you are staying as they will be able to point you in the right direction locally. Like Wildbix said it's easy to get on your kayak and discover some nice snorkeling along pristine patch reefs, and all of the world class coral reefs are a short boat ride away!

Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andros snorkeling

Thank you all. This has been very helpful.

j

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andros snorkeling

I am not familiar with Andros or Exuma. We've been to Eleuthera twice and planning 3rd trip for next Feb. We prefer snorkeling from the shore/beach also. Eleuthera has many beaches both on the Atlantic side + the Caribbean side where you can swimm rt oFf the beach and snorkel. Atlantic side is bit rougher depending on wind.

We stayed twice on the Atlantic side in N. Palmetto Pt and rt off the shore (betw 4-10' ) we swan and saw rays, and all sorts of other fish. Similar on the Caribbean side beaches- much calmer+ shallower. Since Eleuthera is only 2-3miles wide,you can go from Atlantic to Caribbean side in 5-10mins. Fun to see so many different landscape+beaches

Just w/in few miles.

We are looking into Andros+ Long Island for future trips. All comments on snorkeling from swimming off beach would be appreciated- Andros, Long Island.

Thanks!

Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andros snorkeling

There is a Blue Hole about 30 feet from shore in Conch Sound that is full of fish (not to mention a sunken boat). We also saw a huge blue sting ray there.

7. Re: Andros snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, April 28, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations