We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pet importation

Lakeland, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
pet importation

Does anyone know if the pet importation requirements apply if you are going to be living on base? They just told us we are leaving this week for AUTEC, but the importation requirements state the animal must have had a rabies shot for a month prior to arrival.

here and there
Destination Expert
for Bahamas, New Providence Island, Paradise Island
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pet importation

Yes, they apply. All animals entering the bahamas are required to abide by the rules.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pet importation

If you are coming in as military or UG government, you should ask your supervisor, as the regulations may be different for you. However, the general rules state:

Animals

Pets (Dogs, Cats and Birds) are required to:

(a) Obtain permission from the Ministry of Agriculture to import pets prior to importation,and

(b) Be in possession of a Vaccination Certificate from a Veterinarian in the Country of Export. This certificate must be less than 24 hours old and

(c) The pet must be at least six months old.

Importation of Pets

You may bring your pet into The Islands Of The Bahamas, but you need to make preparations before your departure. An import permit is required from the Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Resources (Nassau) for all animals being brought into any island. The permit is valid for one year from the date of issue. Applications for such permits, stating the kind of animal, breed, age, sex and country of embarkation (along with a $10 processing fee), must be made in writing. There is no fee for service dogs, e.g. seeing-eye dogs.

Customs Duty for permanent entry of all animals from outside the Commonwealth of The Bahamas (dogs, cats, cattle and horses) is $10 plus 1/2% of the value of the animal. Yearly fees for dog licenses in New Providence, Grand Bahama and The Out Islands are: male or spayed female, $2; un-spayed female, $6.

Lakeland, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: pet importation

Yea I have been having a difficult time getting info from my HR person, and I thought maybe if we were going to American soil, the usual requirements might not apply. Thanks for the advice!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pet importation

Andros or the AUTEC are not exactly "US soil" as you put it. It may be on lease to the US Government, but it is definitely "Bahamas soil" You will need to comply with the Bahamas laws as a guest of the Bahamas. The base itself only covers one square mile, so unless your pet will arrive directly onto the base and leave directly from the base, you will need to follow the rules for importation of pets. The Bahamas is and has been rabies free for many years, and hopefully will remain so.

If you are having little luck with your HR people, then perhaps a call directly to the US Embassy in Nassau will be able to tell you exactly what you will need to do. With personnel coming and going all the time, I am sure they will have an answer for you. Good luck!

Lakeland, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: pet importation

ok thank you so much! im not trying to bend the rules or anything, I just want to know what they are. If its not American soil, I guess that answers my question. I am fairly sure we will be flying in directly to the base, and id be willing to keep the dog on it until the month passes. I sent the request for the permit along w/ the money to the dept. of agriculture twice several months ago, and sent the additional money to have it faxed back quickly, but my requests were ignored both times...I will do as you suggest and try to contact the embassy. my dog has been vaccinated, but only for a week. thanks for the info :)

6. Re: pet importation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:45 am, January 27, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations