We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconut Palms Beach House?

Indiana
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coconut Palms Beach House?

I am looking very closely at this house for a family vacation rental, but I've never done anything like this before, and want to take whatever precautions a person needs to before sending a stranger a lot of money.

Has anyone here stayed there before? And if you haven't stayed there exactly, what type of things should you take into consideration when renting over the internet?

Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Coconut Palms Beach House?

Yes Andros is a one of a kind place. How was the house rental and managing a vacation from there? I am interested in staying there. Thanks

Virginia
Level Contributor
51 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Coconut Palms Beach House?

As the owner of an Andros home, I have to say that I always suggest that fist-time visitors who do not have a lot of experience with the less developed Bahamian out islands stay at a hotel rather than renting a house. Here's why: Andros has almost no services. If something goes wrong, you are in a pickle. You need to have trans to the store, and know what day the boat comes in for food as basic as milk and bread. If the propane is out you have no stove. There is almost no appliance repair. If the power goes out you will be in the dark. It is only in the last eyar or two that anyone is handling "real estate" and rentals as we think of them here in the States. There is a reason no one did it much before.

I always recommend Small Hope Bay Lodge. It is family owned and operated, has been there forever, is very laid back and has a real island feel on its own beautiful island beach.

Do you really want to have to interrupt your vacation to be the one to worry about why your toilet doesn't flush? Of course, if you are used to that...

Just my advice.

Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Coconut Palms Beach House?

Thanks for your opinion. I have been to North Andros before and actually stayed at Small Hope Bay. It was lovely. This house in question seems to have a caretaker and I would hope they would be available for an unexpected problem or emergency. I realize that Andros is bare bones in alot of ways and that is not something everyone can be comfortable with. However, it's lack of development also lends some of it's appeal as I'm sure you've discovered.

florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Coconut Palms Beach House?

Have any of you stayed at Pleasant Dreams? In process of booking for summer, will be our first trip to the island and traveling with 3 kids. Sounds wonderful and we would prefer over any kind of hotel. Just wondering if someone might have any feedback from personal experience. Thanks!!

15. Re: Coconut Palms Beach House?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations