We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Abaco experts out there?

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Any Abaco experts out there?

We are two couples with 12 year boy and 16 year old girl who after a great deal of research have decided that Abaco is where we will spend our summer vacation.

Which area of the island should we concentrate our villa search? We plan on eating dinner out every evening so close to a variety of restaurants is a plus. We will rent a boat for at least 3 days. Men will be fishing, women want to snorkel. We have 2 votes for Marsh Harbor, 2 for Elbow Cay, 1 for Treasure, and 1 for Green Turtle Cay.

lWe are looking for minimum 3 bedroom, air conditioned home (3rd bedroom must have twin beds or we will need 4 bedrooms.)On the beach if possible. Pool would be nice. Since we'll be renting a boat a place to dock it would be nice. Any specific villa suggestions would be appreciated.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,191 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

Try these forums for great information if you have not already:

www.abacoforum.com

http://coconuttelegraph.net

and also Sandy Estabrook's very comprehensive guide at:

www.abacoindex.com (be sure to check all the many links to sources)

You have great suggestions but my vote is definitely for Elbow Cay and for a house within walking distance of the settlement of Hopetown unless you intend to rent one or more golf carts for the week or have a boat for your entire stay to get around in. You will find several restaurants and more for the kids to explore (imo). Hopetown is a great introduction to the Abacos. Try www.abacovacations.com or vrbo.com for houses- also Tanny Key realty, www.hopetown.com, and www.ilovehopetown.com. Also, as far as a pool, if you eat lunch or buy a drink, the kids can swim at Hopetown Harbour Lodge, Abaco Inn or SeaSpray resort so that is a nice outing for the moms and kids while the men fish- you can bike or golf cart to these places or walk to HHL if you are near the settlement so if you find a house you like and it does not have a pool, you have options.

Happy travels- it is one of my favorite places!

PS I have been quite a few times but I would never call myself an expert so keep looking- they are out there and they are very helpful.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

Thank you for the links you provided. I was leaning toward Hopetown but just wanted to make sure we weren't to isolated. I'm sure I'll be back with more specific questions.

virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

R: Abaco experts

I can definitely recommend Elbow Cay. It's centrally located so, by boat, you can maximize daytrips north and south. For a specific house, I can recommend Barefoot Bay, at the southern tip of the island, although it may be a bit larger than you need (six bedrooms). If you can snare another couple, even with kids, it can easily accomodate. It has a pool, observation tower and a private dockslip right beside Tahiti Beach. You can find out more info here (including where to rent):

www.barefoot-bay.blogspot.com

If this doesn't suit you, contact Peggy, Sharon or Dielta at Hopetown Hideaways. They offer the most extensive selection of rentals on Elbow.

I envy you, making your first trip to the Abacos. I think it's the best place in the world.

Good luck!

J

virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

R: Abaco experts

I can definitely recommend Elbow Cay. It's centrally located so, by boat, you can maximize daytrips north and south. For a specific house, I can recommend Barefoot Bay, at the southern tip of the island, although it may be a bit larger than you need (six bedrooms). If you can snare another couple, even with kids, it can easily accomodate. It has a pool, observation tower and a private dockslip right beside Tahiti Beach. You can find out more info here (including where to rent):

www.barefoot-bay.blogspot.com

If this doesn't suit you, contact Peggy, Sharon or Dielta at Hopetown Hideaways. They offer the most extensive selection of rentals on Elbow.

I envy you, making your first trip to the Abacos. I think it's the best place in the world.

Good luck!

J

daisytown
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

We loved Elbow Cay however there was no decent snorkeling from shore. We did go out in a boat on day to a nice spot. St John has unbelievable snorkeling from the beaches.

Nancy

asi
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

We have rented a house in May thru Hopetown Hideaways, Donald Seas.

It's on the southern part of Elbow Cay with 3 br's and one has twin beds. It does not have a pool but does have sandy beach and dock. We've also rented a boat and golf carts. Check their website as some of the houses have virual tours. We stayed on Guana Cay last time with children close to your ages and they absolutely loved it but seemed like a lot of our day trips were to Hopetown.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

We have rented a house on Elbow Cay, south of Hopetown for June using Hideaways. Now trying to book airfare, expensive! Also wondering what we should do when we get there. Have rented a boat and a golf cart. Looking forward to your suggestions and or trip reports.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

I would definitely select Elbow Cay for its location, especially if you are renting a boat which can be done on the cay. We have rented boats at both Marsh Harbor and Elbow Cay and prefer to take the ferry to Elbow Cay and rent there. We rented a five bedroom house with a pool and a 3 BR annex on the beach just south of Hopetown (cant remember the name but the rental company had a gecko for its logo) on the Atlantiic side and very much enjoyed having Hopetown proper within an easy golf cart ride of the rental. We loved having dinner and beverages on the harbor and took many teenagers with us. We felt fairly secluded but still had great access to the ammenities in Hopetown.

I would have to disagree with the poster about snorkeling in Elbow Cay. We spent a great deal of time snorkeling on the Northpoint on down to Tilloo Cut on the Atlantic side and several sites south of Tilloo Cut to the southern tip on the bay side. Lots of corral formations toward the north end and sea creatures. We even snorkeled right outside of the church in Hopetown and throroughly enjoyed it. We've also snorkeled from Great Guana to Little Harbor and found it wonderful.

I think we still have a t-shirt or plastic cup with the imprint of the rental company from whom we rented the property and could look it up if you are interested. It was fantastic. Rented for about $7000/week but we had twelve people with us and that was 2-3 years ago. We would grill the lobsters and hogfish we speared next to the pool and dine al fresco. Had a spa also. Great ammenities there. I'm starting to get the Abaco fever just thinking about it...

9. Re: Any Abaco experts out there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Great Abaco Island