We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Topic
looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

looking for the best diving in these outer islands?

I'vebeen to Provo

any help.?

and cheap flights out of south fla for it !

looking for end of summer or spring 2008

islander
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

There is definately great diving in the Abacos. There is also a few diving companies. If you are looking to stay around Marsh Harbour I would say to check out www.abacodivers.com.

If they do not interest you do a serch for diving Abaco and you will find the other companies.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

I dove there last summer. i've logged over 250 dives in the Caribbean and enjoyed it. Divemaster was great - my buddy & I were the only 2 guests on the boat. He mentioned we might see sharks. I thought in the distance like on other dives elsewhere. I didn't realize Caribbean Reef Sharks would go the whole dive with us - up one side of the reef and back the other. Clear water, colorful fish (although not an abundance as in other locations) and the adrenalin of diving with a shark 10 feet away. Not for everybody. Also dove an inner island "Blue Hole." Incredible where salt water meets fresh. Like being in outer space.

I'd go back to Abaco for the simplicity and laid-back attitude. Although not much to do if you don't dive/boat.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

I am a seasoned diver looking for a laid back location with healthy reefs and macrolife including the occasional shark. Like the appeal of the Abacos but hesitant to bank on websites touting unrealistic expectations. Would like to hear from divers who have experienced the location for first hand information. Have been to Belize, Turks and Cacos, Yap, Cozumel, Guam and the Red Sea diving with mixed reviews. Based in FL with ideas for a short flight, budget minded accommodations and decent diving. Planning a vacation in May considering the Abacos. Need advice on where to go for quality diving with interesting surface pursuits. Thanks in advance.

NavyJ

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

Navy J-

I am not a diver- just snorkeler- but I have been to some of the places you think you are interested in and you might want to take a look at this website:

www.dive-exuma.com

and read travel reports you find on TA or other websites and ask about the Exumas and the Exuma Land and Sea Park in the Bahamas-

Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

thanks everyone

i want to get to abacos to dive.. for about 4-5 days out of south fla. in spring 2009 or next summer. the diving sounds very good...

I have been throughout the caribbean diving..

but its a short trip from where we are..here now.

we are making our first trip to roatan in 3 weeks.

hope its good...

I was diving in provo 2 years ago..

thank you again..

oh and maybe a reasonable place to stay on abacos..

nothing fancy... its two couples and the ladies do not dive..

a dive ops etc I will look further on here when the time comes..

might go in march is this a good month.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

www.oii.net is a website strictly about the Abacos.You can get a lot of info there.

7. Re: looking best diving in outer islands here dive shops etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Great Abaco Island