We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calm Water

Bozman, Maryland
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Calm Water

We are considering our first visit to the Out Islands, probably Eleuthera or Exuma. I have read some comments about rough or cold water - I would like calm blue waters or gentle waves. Where is best to find this in November? Most lodgings seem to be on the Atlantic side and I'm wondering how the surf compares to Caribbean islands like Anguilla, where even Atlantic beaches are usually good for swimming unless there is a storm.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calm Water

I suggest the lee side of Long Island. We went last November and it was wonderful, warm and calm. The only thing that will interrupt good weather is a storm system or cold front. The remnants of a tropical storm came through and brought some rain for a day or so.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Bozman, Maryland
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Calm Water

Funny you mention that.... I keep looking at Cape Santa Maria. The beach looks like heaven! Any suggested places to stay on Long Island besides the Cape?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
Cape Santa Maria Beach...
716 Reviews
Long Island
Long Island
Long Island
Out Islands
Windsor, Canada
Destination Expert
for Eleuthera
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calm Water

The lee side of Eleuthera would also work well, particularly areas like Ten Bay and Rainbow Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calm Water

We always stay in Whymms aka Wemyss Bight. The beach is not as pretty as the Cape but I have yet to find one that is. You just can't beat that beach for calm, clear water. Period. And we've been to several of the Out Islands but lots more still to go. There are one or two rental homes at the Cape but they are pretty expensive. Whymms is fairly close to the north so you can make easy trips up there. Not sure if this will play for you or not but here is a short video I made of the beach just north of the cape: https://www.facebook.com/video.php…

There are also some nice beaches near Galloway and Turnbull with rental homes on them.

Mentioned in this post
Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
375 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calm Water

The leeward side of the various Out Islands will always be a better bet for calm water, but as noted above, it depends on the weather. During cold fronts, the prevailing winds turn westerly, and will churn up the seas on the lee side. The earlier you go in November, the fewer the cold fronts. By mid-November, the cold fronts can roll in on a weekly basis, which can mean 2-3 days of kicked up water. (Really, it's the luck of the draw). Cat Island has spectacular leeward (Exuma Sound) side beaches -- Fernandez Bay being one of them; also, as noted, Long Island's Cape Santa Maria has a beautiful lee beach (which was kicked up for several days when we visited), and there are many such beaches on Eleuthera. Of course, when the wind blows from the west, go to the ocean side of the islands; there will still be waves, but the seas will be much calmer.

(Of course, even when they're choppy, most of those leeward beaches are going to be calm enough to swim -- though with the wind, they may feel a bit chilly.)

Lots of great beaches in the Abacos, but I would say that more of the better ones are on the ocean side. Many people there rent boats to be able to island (and beach) hop, but if you get choppy weather, you don't want to go too far in a boat. Same thought with respect to the Exumas -- lots of cays with lots of little beaches, but which beach is calm on any given occasion depends on the weather.

In any event, you should be able to find something like the beaches in Anguilla. I would suggest that you narrow down your choices to a few islands and/or properties that appeal to you, and then ask again about the beaches in the vicinity.

Mentioned in this post
Cat Island
Cat Island
Out Islands
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas
Cape Santa Maria Beach...
716 Reviews
Long Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Bozman, Maryland
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Calm Water

Thank you all for the great input!

7. Re: Calm Water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 06, 2015