We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memories Grand Bahama

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Memories Grand Bahama

Just curious if anyone can post on the building progress for Memories Grand Bahama. They're starting to sell all-inclusive packages with arrival dates starting January 18th, so I'm wondering if it will be up and running by then. Also... what was the hotel that used to be on this site? Thought I'd do some research for the area and see if I can find some pictures, restaurant & tour reviews and whatnot.

Many thanks in advance!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

This resort was formerly known as the Our Lucaya Reef Village. You probably won't find reviews about the previous resort on here now that the property has changed ownership, TA will delete all former reviews as they will become irrelevant. The Caribbean Journal is stating the newly refurbished Memories is expected to open in the second half of this year, so my guess is in the next few months. I too have my holiday booked for this resort in early April of 2014. I'm looking forward to it. I've never been to the Bahamas before.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

Thanks for the note macmassey. Great to hear your holiday booked for this resort... we've never been to the Bahamas either - so there's a pretty good chance we might just book in the next little bit.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

Used to be Reef Village at Grand Lucayan, and before that it was Sheraton Our Lucaya.

Should be up and running by then, yes.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

Thanks for the hotel history Johann&Sandra. Any chance you can tell me what the beach is like out in front of that area? Any good restaurants or bars in the area? Shopping? Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Louisville
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

The beach in front of the Lucayan is beautiful & spacious

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

To get feedback on the immediate area, you can read hotel reviews of Grand Lucayan here on TripAdvisor. The two are next door to each other, basically sharing one property, so what goes for one mostly goes for the other.

The beach at Memories is lovely white sand beach with typical Bahamas powder. The overuse by cruise passengers has caused some erosion in the immediate area next to (but not in front of) Memories, causing it to be rocky, but once you walk past that, you have about 2 miles of white sand beach to walk on.

Across the street from the resort is Port Lucaya Marketplace where you will find shops, entertainment and lots of bars and restaurants. Along with Grand Lucayan and Pelican Bay Hotel, it has the best overall location for tourists on the island. When it was Sheraton it was voted the #1 Family Resort in the Caribbean by Parents magazine.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

Thanks for the info about the beach. That's exactly why I logged in today to ask! If the erosion from cruise passengers has happened, does that mean the beach is overrun with cruise people?

Also, anyone know if the hotels provide beach chairs and umbrellas and if there's a cost? We will be travelling with a 1 year old so having shade is now mandatory! Just wondering if I need to bring my own. We haven't booked anything yet as still doing some research, but my top priority is a nice beach.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

The beach at the resort is for resort guests only - when a cruise ship is in port the public part of the beach next to the resort has cruise ship passengers on it. Hotels typically provide beach chairs for their guests. Not sure if they have umbrellas, you might ask to see if you should bring a little folding one with you or not.

I say it's from cruise passengers, but really the main erosion was from a couple hurricanes in the past few years, but the use in that one area hasn't helped. This area is quite small though compared to the entire beach, and overrun is not a term I'd use - there aren't that many cruise ships and the beach is 20 minutes from the cruise pier.

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
60 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

We just booked this hotel for the end of March. Our travel agent had a recent update (Aug, 21st) from the developer, saying they are looking at a soft opening at the end of November 13. She said she would not be booking anyone there over Christmas, as there are likely many kinks to work out over the first month. Sunwing is booking this hotel to coincide with their direct flights from many Canadian destinations which will begin mid-January 2014. I'm told that as an old Sheraton the rooms and bathrooms are a good size, and the hotel layout is great. She said it was really a fantastic property for a long time. The price with a direct flight is great, it's the Bahamas, so I don't think it's a huge risk to book. Now I'm just hoping the weather in the next few months cooperates and there are no setbacks to the opening times.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memories Grand Bahama

We just booked this resort through Sunwing for January25th .For anyone considering it the price has already risen from what was advertised on the web and newspaper last weekend,We have never been to the Bahamas and are looking forward to our trip.