We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for groceries in Freeport

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Advice for groceries in Freeport

We are heading to Freeport in a week; staying at the Taino Beach time share. Knowing how expensive groceries are, we'd like to bring along some items in our luggage, such as coffee, nuts, crackers, cereal, wine & some condiments. Does anyone know if there are restrictions on bringing such items into the country, or a possible tax on them? We thought about shipping it over but were told the FedEx won't ship perishable items due to customs restrictions. Ideas?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for groceries in Freeport

Hi!

You should be fine bringing the items you mention - and that's a good list of the best things to pack! Seasonings in small amounts too...

I think if you search these forums you'll find lots of info on your questions on some of the previous threads. I think everything you mentioned is fine, and I don't think most visitors get taxed on bringing in things for personal use. I believe that the restrictions are on fresh items, but that frozen things (e.g. meats) are okay. I'm sure some of the OPs will help out here as well!

Have a great trip!

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for groceries in Freeport

we are here now and went to Solomon's. while more expensive than us, not outrageously so.....I'm glad I didn't bring grocery items like I was going to.....maybe spices though

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for groceries in Freeport

Unless you have a really big family and plan to do tons of cooking at home, I don't think it's worth it anymore to bring groceries. Selection has improved so much over the past couple years, and prices have come way down. Still more expensive particularly for junk food or processed foods but for me not worth the hassle.

That said, no customs duty on food as a general rule. Here is a handy guide:

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/connect/9fa71598-5d5c-4123-b195-6fc7f0677de1/Frequently+imported+Items++-+Jan+20.2012.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Atlanta
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for groceries in Freeport

We are fixing to make our first trip to GB. When you arrive do they actually go through your luggage?

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for groceries in Freeport

Yes, they do....usually at least.

Las Vegas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for groceries in Freeport

There is actually a new grocery store that opened up a couple of years ago out by Solomon's. Can't remember the name, but most locals should know it.

7. Re: Advice for groceries in Freeport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 23, 2014