We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

We are going to the Viva Wyndam tomorrow and from what the weather forecasts say, it looks like they are expecting inches of rain and heavy storms! I have read other posts that say forecasts can be unreliable about rain, but this sounds like its a done deal. I am 1) afraid my flight won't even get off the ground from Florida (mid afternoon) 2) it will be a total washout with nothing to do when we arrive. It also looks like these stroms may linger for a day or so. If anyone has any good news to make me feel better...bring it on!!!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

Good news is that all the booze is included at the resort!! ;-)

Other than going for a swim or hot tub if it's not stoming, you could take a cab to the casino at Lucaya, they do offer a free $10 if you sign up for a players card, our friends used it and hit for $400 on the slots, never know.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

Sorry to say but besides the occasional tropical storm and weather fronts, it is now the rainy season in the Bahamas. It began around yesterday. During this period the humidity is very high. With all that moisture in the air there is a good chance of a daily shower lasting from minutes to hours somewhere on the island you are on.

NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

So...when the forecasts are now saying locally heavy rain tomorrow (80% chance) I should expect that to be all too true? I guess the good part is that there is a 20% chance it won't be raining....or at least not raining the whole time. I am going to try and stay excited. Maybe Thursday will be the worst of it, and then I am ok with rain for a little part of each day. I will cross my fingers and try not to be too freaked and bummed out and will pack a deck of cards :(

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

If no weather fronts or tropical storms are nearby, in general, during this time, any rain usually holds off until the afternoon hours when the Sun has had time to cook the atmosphere sufficiently to begin the precipitation process. So, it's best to make best use of the morning hours now.

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

I'm here now and its raining cats n dogs. We decided to go downtown today instead of later in the week due to the weather. We wanted to be sure to take advantage of any sunshine and spend it on the beach. We flew out last Sunday because of cancelled flights on Saturday afternoon. Earlier this week we had a lot of sun but the weather has gotten worse since.

NJ
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

Thanks for the on location update! Hopefully today will get most of the rain out of the way, and it gets nice for the remainder of the week for both our sakes. Everytime I check the weather though, they update the amount of rain expected over the next couple of days. We can only hope it blows out quickly. I am worried about the flights though for tomorrow being delayed or cancelled, but not much we can do about it. As Mike 0917 said...at least once we do arrive, the booze is free :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

This seriously heavy rain is so depressing! I really hope tomorrow is better. I don't even feel like going out in it, so wet and windy. :(

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

This system is nuts. In Miami, they had almost 10 inches of rain in one day - their previous record for that date, standing for over 110 years, was about 3.5 inches. That's about a 1/3 of the entire yearly rainfall total as Seattle (known for its rain).

Yesterday it downpoured for the entire day with wind and yuck. This morning is supposed to be more of the same but things start to get better after that pretty quickly - the rest of the week looks pretty good. This is typically a great weather time of year.

When the forecast says "chance of thunderstorms" there is typically nothing to worry about. When it says only "thunderstorms" with 100% chance of rain like it did yesterday (not just a chance of) then get ready for a wet one.

9. Re: Heavy rain May 24th! Please say it isn't so!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, June 21, 2013