We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

Which Freeport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Renfrewshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

My husband and I will be travelling to Freeport in July and would appreciate any advice on which of the two is the better hotel.

We are looking for good clean pools, comfortable rooms with nice views, good standard of food and service. As they are both in the same area I'm assuming the nightlife is similar ... but is it any good?

Many thanks in advance

Anne

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

I think it depends on what you are looking for. If the "room" is the most important aspect of your trip then a suite at Pelican Bay is the way to go. The view and beach situation is slightly better at the Grand Lucayan but the views at PB aren't bad and if you don't mind walking 10 minutes to the beach then you can share the same beach as those at the Grand Lucayan. There is a 15 dollar fee to use it but the GL charges a 15 dollar a day resort fee to the people who stay their so its a wash really (or you may get it cheaper as a visitor if you keep the band on for multiple days).

The nightlife is the same since they are side by side.

I like Pelican Bay better but its very close.

columbia, sc
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

Haven't been to G.L.; always stay at Pelican (about 15 times over the past 5 years). Good, clean rooms (get a suite!) overlook the channel, clean pools (3), but NOT on the beach though the hotel provides free ferry service to Taino Beach--ten minutes away. Nightlife--not much, but you are a five minute walk to Count Basie square and the marketplace where they have restaurants, bars, music, shopping. On site restaurant Sabor sometimes has music. New restaurant, Flying Fish, has gotten excellent reviews here--a five minute walk away.

What keeps me coming back are the emplyees, in particular Stanley who greets you at the door, and Karen and Tara at the front desk--all friendly and helpful. Plus, EXCELLENT, QUICK service if something is wrong with the room.

The hotel is smaller than GL and doesn't seem to cater to the cruise ships so you won't have a problem checking in as you may have at GL (many reviewers complain about that).

Breakfast at PB is expensive, so I go to Dive-In for coffee ($2) and then Le Med for the meal ($6)--each a five minute walk away.

Check both web sites and the reviews before you decide.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

The difference is that Grand Lucayan is a beach resort, while Pelican Bay is a boutique hotel not on the beach (on the marina). Grand Lucayan is much bigger, on the beach, with several restaurants, entertainment, etc. Pelican Bay has none of that, but instead is quiet, very cozy, and caters to an adult audience. Both are similarly situated on either side of Port Lucaya Marketplace. You should be able to get a good idea of the quality from the reviews on TA.

Renfrewshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

Many thanks for your advice it's been useful and helpful. As you stated Christopher looking at the details of both hotels it's a close run thing between the two which makes it all the harder to choose. Having already read the reviews on both hotels there seems to be a mixture of opinions of the very good and the not so for both hotels. I think I will go with Pelican Bay and hopfully have a lovely stay.

Thanks again to all of you for your quick response.

Anne

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

I have stayed at GL four times in the past two years. I really like the pools, the beach directly in front of the hotel, and especially the sauna in the spa that you can use at no charge. I have walked across the street and looked at rooms at PB thinking the next time I came I would stay there but I always go back to GL. The pool area at GL to the left of the resort is very nice and uncrowded. There is only one small pool overlooking the marina at PB.

You could always book both hotels and spilt your vacation time since they are directly across from each other. If you stay at PB catch the water taxi over to Taino Beach for a visit.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

I think you'll be happy either way. Just go twice!

7. Re: Grand Lucayan v Pelican Bay Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 19, 2013