We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

Freeport, Grand...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

Does anyone know where you can snorkel off-shore without having to go through a tour operator?

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

Of course the best locations are from a boat, but there is plenty of shore snorkeling that is worthwhile. The best is probably at Paradise Cove - www.deadmansreef.com.

Also good spots off Coral Beach in front of Coral Beach Hotel, and the various condominiums located further west along the beach. At Xanadu beach, you can walk to the end of the jetty and there is a small reef a short swim from there. At Taino Beach there are various coral heads scattered around - not great, but worth doing. At Old Bahama Bay, you can see a lot of fish near the jetty, also stingrays and morays. At low tide, you can swim out to the reef off Gold Rock Beach - a long swim, but if you're in good shape it's do-able. Quite good. I've heard of some decent snorkeling near the Wyndham but have yet to discover it. You can find starfish, sand dollars and the like snorkeling off High Rock beach or Gold Rock as well. You can snorkel the blue holes from McLeans town and Crabbing Bay, or around the outer cays as well.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

Johann&Sandra:

Your answer above is very helpful. I have the same question with the twist that I will be coming in a cruise ship so limited time. With that in mind, can you recommend the top 1-2 sites, how do I get there, what is the cost of transportation and is there shade in these locations.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

Deadmans Reef or Coral Beach are the most practical, Xanadu would work fine too, as would Taino Beach. For purely shore snorkeling, Paradise Cove is the best bet.

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
140 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

We just returned from our January 2012 cruise with 1 stop at Grand Bahama Island.

Paradise Cove (Deadman's Reef) had the best snorkeling I have ever seen. (Ihave snorkeled in many locations for 15 years).

If you are headed to Freeport and want to snorkel I can't say enough good things about Paradise Cove. Look them up and send an email to the owner. If you are on a cruise ship they will hook you up with transportation to/from the ship and a great day of snorkeling (or kayaking.)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

Last time we were there we saw four Spotted Eagle Rays swimming together - we just swam along side them for a long time, so nice! Then a sea turtle, a nurse shark, and several huge stingrays too. It is a good spot. Glad you had a great time!

6. Re: Locations for off-shore snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, February 05, 2013