We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

montrose co
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

So my husband and I are thinking of visiting for a week in January. I know it's not the best resort but we are not that picky and we are just happy to just get away from the snow. I know we would go nuts if we were stuck at the resort the whole time so wondering how tough it is to get around. I don't want to rent a car (unless I must).

How far is Lucaya and is there a shuttle or bus? If not, then how much roughly is a taxi and it is a pain in the a**? We are not looking for bar hopping, but maybe the straw market and a few cool restaurants etc. Probably in the evenings a few times.

We looked into the Pelican Bay Lucaya but it costs the same as Wyndham and isn't all inclusive. We like to eat out periodically but have the convenience of not having to and of course the alcohol...

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

A taxi will cost about $15.00 each way from the Wyndham to Lucaya and take about 10 minutes. Taxis are readily available, not a pain at all. There are scooters and cars for rent at the Wyndham. There is a bus that is cheap but intermittent - your resort can show you where to stand to catch it. Not sure about a shuttle, but I know some other resorts have one, so I would guess they do.

montrose co
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

Thank you so much! I"ve been agonizing a bit over booking this because I typically stay away from anything too cheap, but with the recession we just don't have the budget we've had in previous years. So I think it's worth it to pay cab fare etc daily when the price difference at our lucaya is about 700 dollars. My only other concern is that I see people complaining on here about bees. ? I am allergic. Do you think these people are uptight and whining for no reason or have you heard about a legitimate problem with them at this resort?

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

I don't think I've ever seen a bee on Grand Bahama, so I can't comment on that. You might PM one or more of the people that have reported bees and see how big or little the problem is at the resort. I suppose anywhere you have lots of fruity, sticky cocktails in one place is prone to have at least a few bees.

montrose co
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

ok, lol. Thank you! I figure those are the same people who have negative things to say about everything. I can always bring a can of raid! Or just flap my arms and run around like a lunatic...

Thanks so much for the adivce, I noticed your feedback on a few other posts as well and I'm going to print them and take them with me so we can refer to them during our trip! You are so well-informed!

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

I vote for flapping your arms and running around like a lunatic. Just make sure to send pictures.

montrose co
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

lol. ok. perhaps even video if my husband's on the ball...Thanks again. : )

Sayre, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

We are going to the same hotel in Jan-20-30...so if I see someone flapping their arms I will say Hi, gia!

montrose co
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

lol. perfect! Makin friends already...

9. Re: Viva Wyndham Fortuna - Getting to Lucaya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 15, 2010