We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need to know

lansdale
1 post
Save Topic
need to know

My question is, what areas of Freeport, Bahamas is NOT A SAFE PLACE to be? My son will be visiting his friends family home town in July and I'm very concerned. What are things I should know about the Island.

Mentioned in this post
Freeport
Freeport
Grand Bahama Island
Grand Bahama Island
Level Contributor
528 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need to know

The tourist areas are very safe, especially the Port Lucaya area. However to answer your question:

I'd say the "ghetto" area behind wendy's is not a safe place to go after dark. Eventhough I have lived in the area, in the (now demolished) Sea Sun Manor building, I'd stay out of that area. Some areas in Hawksbill and the "back of town" area are a little funny, behind Rolle's furniture store. Also the Coral Gardens neighbourhood on coral road is a little shady. Also I'd avoid the downtown shopping area after dark. I live here and I do not like to go out after dark. Sometimes, while driving at night, I see tourists walking down the road at night, ignoring a busdriver/taxi driver that wants them to come on board. Trust me, that busdriver knows the deal. I wouldnt go walking (as a white tourist) at night along the road outside the tourist areas.

Avoid Barbary beach after sunset.

I hope I dont sound to negative. :) It's really nice here though. I love this place!

Northeast, MA
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need to know

I have to agree with DaPotCake. Bottom line? Tell him to make sure he doesn't go in any areas he wouldn't feel comfortable in at home.

Danny

3. Re: need to know

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 21, 2009